New Rochelle, NY (March 5, 2014) Iona College announced the launch in fall 2014 of undergraduate and graduate programs in computer science with a concentration in cyber security. The concentration will be offered for the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts and the Master of Science degrees. The programs will provide students with fundamental cyber security skills, theoretical as well as hands-on experience. Students are exposed to new research ideas across many cyber security areas including software security, web application security, mobile security, networking security, database security and cryptography.
“This curriculum was developed to meet the emerging needs of business, government and healthcare industries in a field that is positioned for continued growth,” said Robert Schiaffino, Ph.D., chair and professor of computer science at Iona.
According to the Bureau of Labor of Statistics, 45 percent of computer security jobs include the federal government and healthcare industry. The remaining 55 percent are divided among telecommunications, finance, insurance, management of companies and enterprises, computer systems design and related services, and self-employment. The Abell Foundation & CyberPoint International LLC states that most highly demanded job positions in cyber security are application security engineer, network engineer, Web analytics developer, vulnerability engineer and Internet security analyst.
“Today, cyber security is one of the most sought-after skills in technology, and the trend is going to continue for the anticipated future,” Schiaffino said. In a recent Best Jobs article on the CNN Money Web site, cyber security is among the top 10 fastest expanding career fields in America, with a 27 percent growth rate. “Any industry—from retail sales to hospitals to power plants—is dependent on information technology (IT), and cyber security is essential to ensuring that IT assets are protected,” added Schiaffino.
“We are so excited about our new addition to computer science, the cybersecurity program at both undergraduate and graduate levels, which will generate new opportunities and contribute to the needs of the workforce nationally and internationally," said Sibdas Ghosh, Ph.D., professor and dean of the Iona School of Arts and Science. "This will be an opportunity for our students to explore their technological curiosity. It is a true interdisciplinary program that will train students to secure jobs in the areas of banking, healthcare and national security.”
Prospective students seeking more information about the cyber security programs should contact Dr. Robert Schiaffino at email@example.com
Founded in 1940, Iona College is a four-year private coeducational institution of learning in the tradition of the Edmund Rice Christian Brothers and American Catholic higher education. It is a diverse community of learners and scholars dedicated to academic excellence and the values of justice, peace and service. Iona offers undergraduate degrees in liberal arts, science, and business administration, as well as Master of Arts, Master of Science and Master of Business Administration degrees and numerous advanced certificate programs. Iona College is the second largest private sector employer in New Rochelle, N.Y.
Permalink to this story: