Weather Closing

Tuesday, Jan. 27: Iona College is closed due to winter storm conditions in the region.



One of the reasons moving out of the residence halls can be so exciting is because you can choose to have a pet that is more than a fish in a small tank. However, before getting a pet you may want to consider a few possible issues:


  • If you travel to and from home during breaks by car and need to stay overnight on the road, make sure you book ahead with a pet friendly hotel.
  • In a car, do not let your animal travel freely.  Purchase a carrier or a proper pet harness. 
  • Check with your vet to see if your pet may need motion sickness medication.
  • If you are flying with your pet, check with the airline to see how they prefer your pet travel.  If the pet travels as air freight, you will need a container, documents confirming its health, shipping papers, and money to pay the cost!
  • Arrive at the airport at least two hours early to make sure your pet has enough exercise, food, water, and exercise before a trip.
  • Bring plenty of supplies: food, a blanket, toys, a brush, treats, a scooper, plastic bags, and deodorant or air freshener.
  • Make sure pets get plenty of ventilation and fresh water.


  • Some rental units do NOT allow pets.
  • Many rental units charge a pet deposit in addition to a security deposit as an initial cost.
  • Keep your pet away from neighbors until it feels comfortable in its new environment.
  • Keep your pet on a leash at all times (if appropriate).
  • Be respectful of your neighbor’s property and peace.  Do not let the animal make a lot of disturbing noise.
  • Clean up after your pet.  Keep a clean yard, cage, etc.
  • You will be responsible if your pet injures a visitor or a neighbor. Sometimes rental insurance covers this liability, but sometimes it does not.  Check!

Town Rules:

  • Purchase a license for your dog (over 6 months old) at the Humane Society (see below).  A spayed dog license costs 12.50.  An unspayed dog license costs 17.50.
  • It’s illegal to have an unleashed dog in a public space.  Unleashed dogs can be taken by the Humane Society.  Chains or leases must not exceed 6 feet. 
  • New Rochelle municipal codes require you pick up after your pet.
  • Bring your pet to the New Rochelle Ward Acres Park.  You need a permit.  To get your permit, bring your license (with proof of a rabies vaccine) and $50 for residents ($250 for non residents) to the Parks and Recreation Office at City Hall (515 North Ave., New Rochelle, NY 10801).  The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.  Call them at 914-654-2087.  Costs for permits are prorated throughout the year.


  • Find a good vet in your new town and transfer your pet’s medical records in case of illness.
  • Pets require a lot of care and attention.  Make sure you have the time, money, and ability to care for a pet.
  • Consider pet insurance.  More than one in three pets have an emergency vet treatment each year and two out of three pets have a serious health problem in their lifetime.  Costs to treat pets can be upwards of $5000!  If you cannot afford this, consider pet insurance.  Or consider not having a pet.

New Rochelle Humane Society

70 Portman Rd.
New Rochelle, NY 10801
(914) 632-2925
Open 7 days a week 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, except Thursdays 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm.