The College Code of Conduct and Student Violations/FAQ


The College Code of Conduct and Student Violations

If you are involved in an incident either on campus or off campus that falls into any of the following categories, then you will be contacted by the Vice Provost for Student Life or his designee (hearing officer):

  • dishonesty
  • forgery
  • obstruction in a classroom
  • physical abuse, intimidation, or harassment
  • theft
  • lewdness
  • use or possession of controlled substances, e.g. marijuana, etc.
  • The use of alcohol off-campus or sponsoring/hosting an off-campus party which has seriously disturbed the neighborhood and has adversely affected the reputation of the College.
  • failure to comply with College officials
  • possession of firearms
  • hazing
  • any violations of law (federal, state or local government)
  • sexual offenses
  • abuse of the College Code of Conduct or our judicial system
  • Engaging in actions either on or off campus which leads College officials to believe that a student did adversely affect or may adversely affect: (a) the security of the College community; (b) the integrity of the educational or developmental process; or (c) the good name of the College.

What Should I Do If Charged With Violating the Student Code of Conduct?

  • If you receive a "letter or email" from any member of the residential life staff or a hearing officer from the Division of Student Life related to a violation of the Code of Conduct, you should remain calm and if necessary contact the hearing officer to inquire about the process. You should be familiar with all procedures related to the judicial system which are also located in the Student Handbook.
  • Once an incident has been document by a college official or by the police, you will most likely be contacted by a hearing officer. Provide that person with your cooperation and always arrive on time and conduct yourself in a professional manner.
  • It is important to always be forthright and honest with the hearing officer. The process is intended to arrive at the truth.
  • The most important thing for every student is to be familiar with the Student Handbook and the College Code of Conduct prior to being involved in an incident. It is your responsibility to understand the policies and procedures related to the Code of Conduct.

Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • I was advised that I was involved in an incident and do not believe that I was truly involved. What should I do?
    When you are notified to appear for your initial judicial hearing, explain to the hearing officer, either Residential Life or Student Development staff, what actually happened. The purpose of the meeting is to determine what took place and who was actually involved.
  • The incident happened off campus. Why am I being contacted and charged with a violation?
    It is College policy that off-campus misconduct is subject to the Code of Conduct and related disciplinary action. Since you are a member of the Iona College community, it is expected that you will represent the College and yourself in a positive manner when on or off campus. This is a fairly standard practice that has been adopted and upheld by many colleges across the country.
  • What happens at a hearing?
    When a student is charged by the College or another member of our community with a violation of the Code of Conduct or residential life policies, he/she has the opportunity to have a hearing. The hearing is attended by the student and the hearing officer. The hearing officer will hear the case and then determine whether or not the student should be held responsible for the charges.
    A student may make an opening and closing statement, provide testimony on his or her behalf, present witnesses, and answer questions from the hearing officer. The student may bring an advisor (someone associated with Iona College) to assist him or her during the hearing. The advisor may not ask questions or provide testimony, and that person cannot be an attorney.
  • If I already paid fines to the local municipality, do I still have to pay an administrative hearing fee to the College?
    The sanctions imposed by the civil or criminal courts are not related to those of the judicial system on our campus. One does not have a direct effect on the other. You can be required to pay an administrative hearing fee and restitution, regardless of the outcome of the criminal or civil proceedings. Restitution would not be a reasonable sanction if proof of previous restitution does exist.
  • Do I need a lawyer?
    Attorneys are not permitted to participate in any part of the disciplinary proceedings.
  • Why would it be beneficial for me to write a statement in reference to an incident?
    It is important to realize that the report filed by College officials or the police, may not tell your side of the story or have sufficient detail to enable a reasonable decision to be reached. We need your statement to determine your perspective of what took place during the incident.
  • What if I cannot complete my sanctions in the specified time frame?
    You should go immediately to the person who conducted the hearing and imposed the sanctions. You may request an extension or modification of the original sanctions, but the final decision to alter the sanctions in any way will remain the purview of the hearing officer or the Vice Provost for Student Life. Failing to comply with any sanction may result in more severe penalties, including possible suspension from the College.