Alison Behrman, PhD, CCC-SLP
BA, University of Michigan
MA, New York University
PhD, Columbia University
Dr. Behrman's clinical expertise is in fluency disorders, accent modification, and voice disorders.
Dr. Behrman's research interests currently focus upon the production and perception of second language accents. She
has authored the textbook "Speech and Voice Science," and co-authored the manual "Exercises for Voice
Therapy" (both published by Plural Publishing). She has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals,
and presented both research and clinical topics in conferences both here in the United States and internationally.
SCS 373 Speech Science, SCS364 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism, SCS319 Bilingual and Speech and Language
Disorders, SCS301 Clinical Linguistics, SCS 101 Introduction to Oral Communication
- Behrman, A., Agresti, C., & Blumstein, E. (1996). Meaningful features of voice range profiles from patients with
organic vocal fold pathology. Journal of Voice, 10, 269-283.
- Behrman, A., & Baken, R. (1997). Dimension analysis of electroglottographic data from healthy and pathologic subjects. Journal
of the Acoustical Society of America, 102, 2371-2379.
- Behrman, A., & Orlikoff, R.F. (1997). Instrumentation in voice assessment and treatment: What's the use? American
Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 6, 9-16.
- Behrman, A., Agresti, C., Blumstein, E., & Lee, N. (1998). Microphone and electroglottographic signals from dysphonic
patients: Type 1, 2 and 3 signals. Journal of Voice, 12, 249-260.
- Behrman, A. (1999). Global and local dimensions of vocal dynamics. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,
- Behrman, A., Abramson, A., & Myssiorek, D. (2001). A comparison of radiation-induced and presbylaryngeal dysphonia. Otolaryngology-Head
and Neck Surgery, 125, 193-200.
- Bloch, I., & Behrman, A. (2001). Quantitative analysis of videostroboscopic images in presbylarynges. Laryngoscope,
- Behrman, A., Shikowitz, M.H., & Daily, S. (2002). Effects of Upper Airway Surgery on Vocal Quality, Otolaryngology-Head
and Neck Surgery, 127, 36-42.
- Behrman, A., Dahl, L., Abramson, A.L., & Schutte, H. (2003). Anterior-posterior and medial compression of the
supraglottis: signs of non-organic dysphonia or normal postures? Journal of Voice, 17, 403-410.
- Sulica, L., & Behrman, A. (2003). Management of benign vocal fold lesions: A survey of current opinion and practice. Annals
of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology, 112, 827-833.
- Behrman, A., & Sulica, L. (2003). Voice rest after microlaryngoscopy. Current Opinion and Practice. Laryngoscope,
- Behrman, A., Sulica, L., & He, T. (2004). Factors predicting patient perception of dysphonia due to benign vocal
fold lesions. Laryngoscope, 114, 1693-1700.
- Behrman, A. (2005). Common practices of voice therapists in the evaluation of patients. Journal of Voice,
- Sulica, L., Behrman, A., & Roark, R. (2005). Inspiratory maneuver: A simple method to assess the superficial lamina
propria during endoscopy. Journal of Voice, 19, 481-484.
- Behrman, A. (2006). Facilitating behavioral change in voice therapy: The relevance of Motivational Interviewing. American
Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 15, 1-11.
- Behrman, A., Rutledge, J., Hembree, A., & Sheridan, S. (2008). Voice hygiene education, voice production therapy,
and the role of patient adherence. A treatment effectiveness study. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing
Research, 51, 350-366.
- Folkins, J., Behrman, A., Self, T., & Scudder, R. (2012). A Wiki to Support Teaching the Course: Introduction
to Communication Sciences and Disorders. Perspectives in Higher Education, American Speech-Language-Hearing
- Behrman, A., & Akhund, A. (in press). The Influence of Semantic Context on the Perception of Spanish-Accented
American English. Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research.
- Folkins, J., Behrman, A., Self, T., & Scudder,
R. (2012) A Wiki to Support Teaching the Course: Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders. Perspectives
on Issues in Higher Education. Published by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Behrman, A. (2013). The Science of Speech and Voice Production, 2nd Edition. San Diego: Plural Publishing.
- Behrman, A. and Haskell, J. (2008) Exercises for Voice Therapy. San Diego: Plural Publishing.
- Behrman, A. (2004). Evidence-Based Treatment of Paralytic Dysphonia: Making Sense of Outcomes and Efficacy Data. Otolaryngology
Clinics of North America, 37, 75-104.
- Behrman, A. (2012). Fostering patient compliance by nurturing clinical expertise in graduate school.in R. Goldfarb
(Ed.) Translational SLP/A: Essays in honor of Dr. Sadanand Singh. San Diego: Plural Publishing.
- Behrman, A. Why voice patients should learn public speaking skills. Invited keynote speaker at Voice Therapy:
A Comprehensive Approach. Pittsburgh, PA, March, 201.3
- Behrman, A., & Akhund, A. The influence of semantic context
on the perception of Spanish-accented American English. Oral presentation at the International Clinical Phonetics
and Linguistics Association. Cork, Ireland, June 2012.
- O'Halloran, E. & Behrman, A. Perception of accent and
ease of understanding of accented English. Poster presentation at the International Clinical Phonetics and
Linguistics Association. Cork, Ireland, June 2012.
- Folkins, J., Behrman, A., Self, T., & Scudder, R. Teaching excellence - making Introduction to Communication
Disorders more compelling. Oral presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention.
San Diego, CA, November, 2011.
Department of Speech-Communication Studies
715 North Avenue
New Rochelle, NY 10801
Office: (914) 633-2606