Students graduating Iona College with a Mathematics major will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to identify articles that draw conclusions based on mathematical results and reasoning.
- demonstrate the ability to transition between the written English word and its equivalent mathematical notation.
- successfully apply mathematical techniques/definitions when solving problems.
- use technology when appropriate.
- explore mathematical algorithms used as tools for solving problems and drawing conclusions.
- prove statements using appropriate methods such as direct proof, method of contradiction, and mathematical induction.
- recognize and correct incorrect or incomplete proofs.
- model real-world situations using appropriate analytic/graphical/numeric methods.
- recognize the need to test conclusions and models drawn from real-world data.
- recognize and correct inappropriate solution methods/models.
Approved by Department: October 15, 2010