Assistant Professor of Sociology
205 McSpedon Hall
715 North Avenue
New Rochelle, NY 10801
Phone: (914) 633-2594
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Marcus Aldredge joined Iona College as an adjunct instructor in 2005 before becoming a full-time
faculty member in 2009. He holds a bachelor's degree in sociology and anthropology from the University of Houston,
a M.A. from The City College of New York, and a PhD from Texas A&M University. His areas of scholarly interest
include culture, social interactionism, deviance, and qualitative/mixed research methods. His recent research projects
focus on expressive cultural practices in New York City, including his forthcoming book on open mic musicians. Professor
Aldredge belongs to the American Sociological Association, the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction, and
the Society for the Study of Food and Culture.
Introduction to Sociology; Introduction to Social Science; Sociology of Deviant Behavior; Criminology; Penology; Sociology
of Popular Culture; Political Sociology; Research Methods; Senior Thesis/Capstone
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2013. Singer-Songwriters and Musical Open Mics. Surrey, UK. Ashgate Publishing.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2009. "Heebsters: Community and Identity (Re) construction of Urban Jewish Hipsters." Pp.
225-250 in Co-opting Culture: Questions of Culture and Power in Sociology and Cultural Studies, edited
by B. Garrick Harden and Robert Carley. New York: Lexington Books.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2008. "(Re) constructing and Negotiating the South as Other: Southern Food Restaurants
in New York City." International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, 2, 2: 152-169.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2006. "Negotiating and Practicing Performance: An Ethnographic Study of a Musical
Open Mic in Brooklyn, New York." Symbolic Interaction, 29, 1: 109-118.
- Aldredge, Marcus and Brad Garrick Harden. 2011 "Exploring the Intersections between Erving Goffman and David
Riesman: Interaction Rituals, Emotions, and Social Character Types" with the Eastern Sociological Society
Annual Meetings, Philadelphia, PA.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2010. "Practicing Performance and Performance Practicing: A Continuum of Organizational
Frames in Musical Open Mics in New York City." Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. Atlanta,
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2010. "Point/Counterpoint: Musical Open Mics as Local Scenes and Pre-scenes" Society
for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. Atlanta, GA.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2010. "Interstitial Differences in Musical Performance: Race and Gender across Musical
Singer/Songwriters in NYC Open Mics." Southern Sociological Society. Atlanta, GA.