Finding it! A Research Skills Tutorial
Welcome to Iona's information literacy tutorial, F.I.R.S.T. This tutorial is designed to help you learn or brush up on basic research skills. We hope you find it useful!
Goals and objectives of the tutorial
After completing this tutorial you should be able to:
- prepare for a research project
- choose the right information tool or tools for the project
- compose and revise effective search strategies
- search for materials in our collections by author, title and keyword
- search for magazine, journal and newspaper articles in a general periodical database
- search for information on the internet using a search engine and an internet directory
- integrate your research into your writing skillfully and responsibly
- cite sources in APA or MLA style using simple examples
Information for students
Information for faculty
This tutorial is adapted under Creative Commons license from the University of North Carolina Greensboro.