After completing this tutorial you should be able to:
* prepare for a research project
* choose the right information tool or tools for the project
* compose and revise effective search strategies
* search for materials in our collections by author, title and keyword
* search for magazine, journal and newspaper articles in a general periodical database
* search for information on the internet using a search engine and an internet directory
* integrate your research into your writing skillfully and responsibly
* cite sources in APA or MLA style using simple examples.
The tutorial is divided into chapters. Each chapter is self-contained. The chapters are arranged in a logical progression and build on one another, so we recommend that you read them in sequence unless you just need to brush up on one or two topics. Each chapter concludes with a brief self-test to allow you to measure how well you have mastered the material.
If you prefer to work on the tutorial offline, there is an option to print each chapter. However, you might miss out on some of the interactivity of the tutorial if you choose to use only the printed version. The quizzes are not included in the print version.
If you have questions about the material in the tutorial, please Ask a Librarian.