Accusations against Brother Liguori Updated - July 24, 2012
- Iona College recently learned of a bankruptcy claim against the Christian Brothers involving a 2008 allegation of child abuse against former president, Brother James A. Liguori. Child abuse allegations, regardless of assumptions or proof of validity, are saddening to all. Our heartfelt sympathy and prayers are in support of any sex abuse victims and their families.
- The accusation against Brother Liguori was initially reported by the alleged victim to the Christian Brothers and to the College in 2008. The Christian Brothers enacted the procedures established by the Conference of Bishops in 2002 to investigate sexual abuse allegations: they retained an external agency to conduct an investigation; results from the external agency were presented to an external Lay Review Board responsible for an independent and thorough review of investigations; the Board accepted and endorsed the findings of the investigation; and the Christian Brothers notified the alleged victim in 2008 that it was not possible to substantiate his accusation. Iona College accepted the findings of the external agency and Lay Review Board. The Christian Brothers have stated that this is the only accusation against Brother Liguori in his 52 years as a part of the order.
- The allegation dates back to 1969 when Brother Liguori was employed at Cardinal Farley Military Academy in Rhinebeck, NY. The allegations were reported on July 19, 2012, on the website of the Survivor Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP).
- The Christian Brothers filed for bankruptcy in 2011. Creditors and others with claims against the Christian Brothers have until August 1, 2012 to file claims against the order, a deadline set by the US Bankruptcy Court in White Plains, NY. The current claim is part of this proceeding.
- Iona College, founded in the tradition of the Blessed Edmund Rice, has been independent since 1947. The College is not part of the Edmund Rice Christian Brothers North America and is not subject to their bankruptcy filing and related claims.
For questions or more information please contact:
Public Relations Office
Iona College, 715 North Avenue, New Rochelle, N.Y. 10801
Office: (914) 637-2726
Fax: (914) 637-2711