Prior to the Expo…
- Have your resume critiqued by a Career Advisor.
- Review the list of organizations attending the Expo: (www.recruitwestchester.org )
- Research companies on their individual websites.
- Create a target list of companies you want to approach at the Expo.
- Practice how you will introduce yourself to recruiters on the day of the event.
(Include name, class year, major, skills, career interests)
- Plan what professional attire you will wear.
- Prepare a large supply of your resumes printed on “resume paper”
On the day of the Expo…
- Dress Professionally!
- Arrive early.
- Get a sense of the floor plan and identify the companies you wish to target.
- Prioritize the companies you want to visit.
- Keep an open mind…just because a Company may not advertise positions you are interested in doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Don’t be afraid to ask!
(e.g. My major is marketing. Does your Company offer opportunities in this area?)
- Introduce yourself briefly to the employer. Shake the employer’s hand and tell him/her about yourself. (name, class year, major, career interests)
- Describe your interest in the organization (e.g. type of industry, company products etc.)
- Be prepared to respond to employer questions and ask questions:
Responding to Employer Questions:
Be prepared to describe your major, skills, career interests, internship, past job experiences
Sample Questions to Ask:
What will the position entail?
What type of training is provided?
- Leave a copy of your resume with the employer.
- Ask for the employer’s business card.
- Close the conversation by thanking the employer and saying something like:
“I enjoyed speaking with you” or “I am very interested in pursuing an opportunity with your organization.”
After the Expo…
- Send a thank you email to the employers you met with and wish to pursue opportunities with.
- Create a tracking system (Excel spreadsheet) to organize employer contacts and leads.
- Employers may begin contacting you for interviews. Think about scheduling a mock interview in Career Development to practice your interviewing skills.
- Transportation will be provided for current Iona students, leaving campus at 1:30 and arriving back at approximately 6:00pm. For more information, contact: