The student minister embodies the mission of Iona College Office of Mission and Ministry through commitment to each of the five pillars of the center: worship & spirituality, service, peace & justice, hospitality to all people and reflection on lived values and core beliefs.
Whether assigned to the residence halls or Montgomery house each minister is expected to treat Office of Mission and Ministry as second only to academic work. Many weeks will demand an average of 20 hours/week of Office of Mission and Ministry responsibilities. In many ways the job is a 24 x 7 commitment.
- Participation in Sunday Liturgy: Members of the Office of Mission and Ministry staff attend the 7:00 pm mass each week in Arrigoni Center (or, if not Catholic, a regular services in their own faith tradition). Student ministers are expected to arrive at liturgy by 6:45 pm. Working with the Campus Minister for Liturgy & Spirituality, ministers help recruit students/staff to serve as liturgical ministers and welcome peers to the liturgy. They assist with the hospitality after mass and the clean-up as well. Student ministers are also often asked to make announcements at liturgy.
- Officer Responsibilities: To promote student leadership and direction of the objectives of Office of Mission and Ministry, each minister will assume a role as an officer. The positions are as follows:
Coordinator of Student Team (1)
Hospitality Coordinators (2)
Liturgy Assistant (1)
Spirituality Events Assistant (1)
Commuter Outreach (1)
Iona in Mission Assistant (2)
- Service Leadership: Outreach to the poor and marginalized is critical to the work of the center. Each minister takes leadership of a specific service project; some may team up with another minister to share the leadership responsibilities. Weekly tasks include participation in the project, recruitment of other students, and on-site orientation of new students to the site. The service projects for the 2010-11 year are:
Midnight Run (2 )
Habitat for Humanity (2)
Project Bro (1)
Project Sunshine (2)
Project Family (1)
Success Center (2)
Project Environment (1)
Pregnancy Cares (1)
- Residential Responsibilities: Ministers have the following requirements related to their place of residence:
- Meetings: participation in weekly prayer and meetings with "area team" and periodic meetings with Residential Life staff.
- Programs: plan with "area team" five programs a semester (4 group and 1 personal program)
- Networking: collaborate and co-sponsor with Residential Life as much as possible.
- Pastoral Presence: In the residence halls by keeping door open for visitors at least one night a week and 1 weekend night a month. At Montgomery House, ministers host student and department events on 1st floor of house
- Meals: All student ministers are encouraged to share meals together on a regular basis; by nature of being a house team, Montgomery residents eat together at least three times a week and rotate cooking and cleaning responsibilities
- Living in Residence: All student ministers are expected to make their residences their homes for the school year and avoid spending many weekends and week day nights away.
- Policies: Student ministers are expected to abide by Residential Life policies and demonstrate leadership and skills in working as a partner with Residential life.
- Prayer Leadership: Student ministers rotate leadership of prayer for weekly "Students Unplugged," residential programming or "Dinner Unplugged" sessions. This prayer/discussion time is open to non-staff members. It should be prepared in advance in consultation with the resident ministers
- Meetings: Each month there is an all-staff in-service and dinner on a Sunday of the month. The student ministers meet once or twice a month as a entire team. House teams meet weekly.
- Hospitality Duties: It is expected that each student minister takes turns cooking (when needed), cleaning, and set-up for hospitality events and other staff dinners. Attendance at the hospitality dinners is mandatory. Student ministers should arrive by 5:15 pm at the latest and earlier (4:14 pm if on "set-up") depending on their duties for the evening.