The Iona College community has always been characterized by its consistent concern for the welfare of the students, faculty, staff and friends who contribute so much to campus life.
Providing a safe environment and caring for those in need of assistance has always been among the priorities of everyone associated with Iona.
The mission of the Department of Campus Safety and Security is to support and help realize the Mission Statement of Iona College by:
- Striving to provide for the safety, security and well being of all members of the Iona Community in an efficient and effective manner.
- Enhancing the development of each Iona student as ethical and skilled decision-maker, motivated to leadership and service.
- Ensuring the safe and free movement of pedestrian and vehicular traffic on campus and properly enforcing the College Code of Conduct and Parking and Traffic Regulations.
- Recording and maintaining accurate crime statistics for the campus; developing and implementing crime prevention strategies encouraging the involvement of all members of the Iona community.
- Creating an atmosphere conducive to prompt reporting of all incidents that occur on campus or in the immediate vicinity by members of the Iona community.
- Developing highly skilled and motivated campus safety officers as integral parts of the Iona community, utilizing pro-active patrol methods and developing acute interpersonal skills.
- Ascertaining and evaluating the latest advances in technology, patrolling techniques and safety regulations available for campus security.
- Maintaining aggressive random foot and vehicular patrols of the campus and ensuring that all campus safety officers are properly trained in all areas of campus security and conform to all applicable New York State standards.
- Participate in partnership with all organizations sponsoring on campus events to assist in building a true sense of community at Iona College.
- Developing areas of mutual interest with the City of New Rochelle and in particular with the New Rochelle Police and New Rochelle Fire Departments.