The purpose of the Iona College Criminal Justice Club is to provide useful information regarding the various component parts of the growing Criminal Justice field: law enforcement, courts, and corrections. The Criminal Justice Club will like to broaden the students understanding and familiarity by sponsoring field trips to criminal justice facilities such as: prisons, courts, and law enforcement programs. The Criminal Justice Club will also sponsor several guest speakers this year and will be organizing a career fair for the spring.
Moderator: Cathryn Lavery
President: Mark Wallace
Vice President: Rebecca Lawrence
Secretary: Ryan Scott
Treasurer: Christina Labbe
Co-Secretary: Derek Krautkremer
Co-Vice President: Angelique Blake
Direct of Fundraising: Elissa Nesmith
Director of Marketing: Shannon Hagan
We are looking forward to welcoming new members and excited to get the new academic year rolling!
Dr. Henry Lee with Dr. Cathryn Lavery and Iona Criminal Justice Club Members
at the Arnold Markle Symposium
Events planned this semester:
- Basketball Tournament...with possible special guest
- Trips to correction facilities such as Valhalla Jail and to either Sing Sing or Green Haven jails.
- Criminal Justice career day - Panel of people who work in the different sections of the Criminal Justice System from corrections to prosecuting attorneys.
- Guest Speakers such as Detective Val Larrier from WWPD and representative from Kurby Hospital
Community Service events planed for this semester:
- Run a drive for inner city kids who may need school supplies and clothes.
- Volunteer at My Sisters Place.
- Collect blankets and other items to donate to the ASPCA.
- Work with Bro. Devlin at the Abraham House
- Volunteer during Iona’s Make a Difference Week
- Clothing/Book/Food/Toy Drives
Events held in the past:
- Trip to the Arnold Markle Symposium held on April 9, 2007 at Foxwoods Resort.
- Guest speakers such as Mr. Napoleon Johnson, Vice President of the Kintock Group.
- We hosted a movie night with free food and refreshments
- We had a guest speaker come in every month, one of them being Commander Vernon J. Geberth
- For Christmas we also hosted a Christmas get together for the Whole Criminal justice Department as well as other invited guests
- Hosted an End-of-the-Year Party open to all Iona Students, in which we were joined by faculty, staff and students.
- During the Home Coming Football game we held a mini garage sale and used the money to help fund our Christmas party for the department.
- Raffled Easter Baskets.
Community Service held in the past:
- We delivered what we did not sell at Home Coming to Br. Devlin’s Abraham House.
- We also worked at the New Rochelle animal shelter on Make a Difference Day and a few of us have gone back to help out through the semester.
- Made and donated a Thanksgiving basket to a needy family, consisting of a turkey and other food.