After-School Scholastic Enrichment & Tutoring (ASSET)
The ASSET program, formerly known as the Success Center, provides elementary and middle school students with a positive atmosphere that encourages a sense of self-worth and achievement. College mentors work on an individual basis with the students to develop a relationship that ensures learning.
What is ASSET?
ASSET is an after-school educational enrichment and tutoring program directed and supervised by the faculty of the Iona College Education Department with the support of Iona's campus ministers. The program has benefited from the generous financial support of ConEdison, the Rotary Club of New Rochelle, and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
Who can receive tutoring?
Since our founding at HOPE Community Service, we have traditionally served families who otherwise would have difficulty affording private tutoring. For over 10 years, Iona's after school tutoring program has offered New Rochelle youngsters a nurturing environment that fosters academic excellence.
- The program serves children in grades 1-8 Services are completely free of charge (there is a $50 supplies/snacks fee per semester)
- Tutoring is provided by caring and enthusiastic college student volunteers
- Most of our volunteers are studying to become teachers in Iona’s accredited education program
What are the services?
Homework assistance for elementary and middle school students
Access to a suite of Chromebooks for completing assignments and accessing educational apps
Books and educational games arranged by topic and level
Small group literacy and math instruction
Cultural and academic enrichment programs lead by Iona faculty and students
Campus "scavenger hunts" to help students feel comfortable in a college environment
Holiday parties sponsored by various college organizations
Bussing from New Rochelle schools
Schedule and Hours
- We run spring and fall semester-long sessions and follow Iona and New Rochelle public schools academic calendars
- We are not open when New Rochelle public schools have a half-day
- Tutoring runs from 4 - 5:30 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, when in session
Tutoring takes place in Amend Hall on the first floor. Please note that staff is only available Monday-Wednesday, 4 - 5:30 p.m. when in session, or by appointment.
If you are interested in volunteering at ASSET or enrolling in the program, please contact:
Amanda Howerton-Fox, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Education