Important Information: Graduate Ceremony
Saturday, May 21 at 3 p.m.
Severe Weather Location: Hynes Arena
Important Information for Graduates and Guests
- At the Commencement Fair, each eligible graduate attending the Graduate afternoon ceremony at 3 p.m. received 8 tickets for an outdoor ceremony (1 for the graduate and 7 for guests) and 4 tickets for the indoor ceremony (1 for the graduate and 3 for guests) in the event of extreme weather.
- The graduate needs to keep one of each ticket and show it at Graduate Check-in on 5/21/22.
- 7 guest tickets are for the outdoor ceremony and 3 guest tickets are for the indoor ceremony. They are not interchangeable.
- Check-in opens 60 minutes prior to the ceremony start.
- Each graduate must be in appropriate academic regalia.
- Graduates must also bring the YELLOW name/degree card received from the Registrar at the Commencement Fair.
- Graduates are responsible for their tickets and lost tickets will NOT be replaced! These tickets are GENERAL ADMISSION ONLY.
- All graduates and guests checking in must have valid ID.
- Graduates require a ticket. Graduating students also need their ID, cap, hood, gown, and yellow degree candidate card.
- Students were given the opportunity to request additional tickets at the Commencement Fair.
- We will attempt to accommodate all reasonable requests if circumstances allow. All those receiving additional tickets will be notified beginning May 2 via their Iona e-mail account. Verify your personal email in PeopleSoft, as well as at the time of waitlist requests if you no longer have Iona email access.
- Tickets are General Admission. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis. All attendees must follow the directives of Event Staff and Campus Safety personnel.
On Commencement Day
- Graduates should check in 60 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony (check in at 2 p.m.) in the Hynes Athletics Center Arena.
- In the event the ceremony moves indoors, graduates will instead check in at Mulcahy Gym.
- Guest check-in opens 60 minutes before the start of the ceremony (check in opens at 2 p.m.). All guests must check in and show their tickets at the main entrance of Mazzella Field.
- In the event the ceremony moves indoors, guests will check in at the Hynes Athletics Center Arena.
- Arts and Science (MA/MS) will assemble in one location in the gym.
- LaPenta School of Business (MBA) will assemble in the opposite location in the gym.
- Graduates must be in line for the procession prior to 2:30 p.m.
- We anticipate the ceremony lasting until approximately 5:00 p.m.
- All graduates participating in the ceremony must adhere to check-in instructions and follow the instructions of event staff and College personnel. All graduates must follow instructions for procession line up and graduate procession, be in line to cross the stage, take a photo and return to their designated seat.
- Individuals should allow for social distancing.
Medal Recipients: Congratulations! If you have been selected to receive an academic award from your department or School, please inform one of the staff members when you arrive. The Commencement staff will attempt to line you up in order so that this part of the ceremony can flow smoothly.
- There is a morning ceremony (10 a.m.) for undergraduate students and an afternoon (3 p.m.) graduate student ceremony on May 21. Students are only able to participate in the ceremony for which they have received approval.
- Tickets for the graduating student and their guests were required to be picked up at the Commencement Fair on April 21 between 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. in the Mulcahy Gym, after the graduate obtained clearance to take part in the ceremony.
- There are different tickets for the undergraduate outdoor morning ceremony, the undergraduate morning indoor ceremony, the graduate outdoor afternoon ceremony, and the graduate afternoon indoor ceremony. Tickets are not interchangeable. Only tickets for the designated ceremony are valid.
- Guests and graduates will NOT be eligible to remain on campus for their designated ceremony without a ticket. Only individuals with authorized tickets will be permitted on campus for the May 21 ceremonies. All individuals must follow check-in procedures.
- All vehicles entering campus must have a Commencement Parking Pass clearly displayed in their windshield. To accommodate graduates and guests for both ceremonies, all cars are asked to leave and enter campus at the designated time. Please be respectful and follow the directions of Campus Safety officers and the New Rochelle Police Department on the day of the ceremonies.
- Each graduating student must keep a ticket for their respective ceremony. Each graduate and guest must have a ticket to be on campus. Graduates and guests will retain the ticket stub of their ticket for the duration of their time on campus. Children under 2 are admitted without a ticket but must sit on a guest’s lap. Please remember, the ceremony can be long, especially for a little one!
- Each ceremony is anticipated to last around 2 – 2 ½ hours, though this may vary.
- There is no place to secure personal belongings. All graduates and guests should only bring what is absolutely necessary. All bags are subject to search and individuals arriving on campus may be screened.
- All individuals on campus must have a form of government-issued photo ID. This does not apply to children accompanied by guardians. As noted, they will require a ticket unless they are under 2.
- Guests will be seated behind the graduate section in a guest section on the field. Guest seating is general admission; seats are not assigned. Chairs in the guest section must remain in place and cannot be moved. General Admission seating selection is first come, first served.
- The event will be livestreamed with the ability to be viewed from personal devices, as well as shown on large screens for the graduates and guests in attendance on the field.
- Generally speaking, the events are rain or shine. Umbrellas are prohibited on Mazzella Field for the May 21 ceremonies. Participants are encouraged to bring ponchos or raincoats with them in the event of inclement weather.
- In the event there is a forecast of severe inclement weather or otherwise hazardous conditions, a notification will be sent once a determination is made to use the indoor location.
- Wherever possible all graduates and guests are asked to carpool or park in authorized off-campus locations.
- All vehicles entering campus must have a Commencement Parking Pass clearly displayed in their windshield. To accommodate graduates and guests for both ceremonies, all cars are asked to leave, and enter campus at the designated time. Please be respectful and follow the directions of Campus Safety officers and the New Rochelle Police Department on the day of the ceremonies.
- Graduates and Guests may enter campus through the main entrance on North Avenue. The exit of campus will be out the Montgomery Gates. All cars coming to campus should park in the parking garage or an overflow lot as directed by Campus Safety and event staff on site.
- Commencement parking passes are required at overflow lots including Summit and Murphy lots on Mayflower Avenue. Cars with a Commencement Parking pass and DMV handicap plates/hangtag will be able to park in one of the ADA lots (Montgomery lot) designated for the 5/21 ceremonies.
- When entering and leaving campus, all are asked to be mindful that there may be another ceremony in progress. We ask all to refrain from honking, playing music, congregating or shouting from vehicles before or after your ceremony.
- All graduates and guests are requested to leave the campus and parking garages/lots immediately following the ceremony.
- The Gael Express Shuttle will be operating on Saturday, May 21. Please check the Gael Express website for the Commencement weekend shuttle schedule.
- Face Coverings: Attendees are encouraged to wear acceptable face coverings, covering their nose and mouth, at all times on campus. Based on conditions and guidance at the time of the ceremonies, masks may be required in all indoor and/or outdoor facilities on campus.
- Restroom Facilities: Graduates will be able to use restroom facilities in the Hynes Athletics Center. Guests will be able to use restrooms located on each floor of the LaPenta Student Union and Spellman Hall. All gender restrooms are located on both the Ground Floor, and first level of Spellman Hall.
- Photography: Graduates will each be photographed by a professional photographer while crossing the stage, and then when they have left the stage. The photography company, Island Life, will contact graduates with optional proofs and photo packages for purchase. Guests must remain in their seats at all times and may not move from their seats during the ceremony unless it is an emergency.
- Attire: All graduates participating in the ceremonies must arrive dressed in appropriate academic regalia (gown, cap, hood). Caps may be decorated appropriately. Event staff will ask for removal if attire is distracting or deemed inappropriate. Flat comfortable shoes are encouraged. The event will be on Mazzella Field, and there are a number of steps in the procession route.
- Request for Accommodations: Vimeo captioning is provided through the link to the ceremonies at www.iona.edu/commencement. Both virtual and in-person attendees are encouraged to utilize these captions on their personal devices. American Sign Language Interpreting is also available for in-person guests and graduates. Please ask an event staff member for directions to the designated seating area. Graduates must request accommodations through the request form on the website and in-person at the Commencement Fair. The Graduate procession route has a number of stairs. Graduates must reach out in advance to go through the accessible procession route and plan for the ceremony.
- Proper decorum and conduct are expected at all times from graduates and their guests. Inappropriate behavior may result in removal from campus, disciplinary action, or arrest where warranted.
- Anyone believed to be intoxicated will not be eligible to participate.
- There are to be no noise makers, inflatable devices, cell phones turned on or other distractions to the ceremony. This should be a safe and special occasional. Be respectful.
- Procedures, regulations and guidelines are subject to change based on College, local and state guidance and regulations.
Please continue to monitor your email for further details and instructions. For more information, please visit the Iona College Commencement website at www.iona.edu/commencement. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you and congratulations, Class of 2022!