How to connect your laptop to the IonaWifi network
An Iona College network user ID and password are required to connect to the IonaWifi network. This is the same login information used on the Single Sign-On page at myiona.iona.edu.
View the appropriate instructions to connect your device to Iona’s wireless network below.If you have any questions please contact the Ryan Library Help Desk at (914) 633-2635.
No software installation is required; it’s just a few easy steps.
- Connect to Iona’s Wireless Network
Click on the Wi-Fi icon (top right corner), Connect to IonaWifi.
- Open Safari, Firefox, or Google Chrome
Go to www.iona.edu you will be taken to a login page.
- Sign in
Enter your computer ID username (e.g. jsmith1) and password. Check the Accept Terms Box and click ‘Login’
Connect to Iona's Wireless Network
- From the desktop, right-click the wireless icon >> Open Network & Internet settings. (On previous versions of Windows 10, it may say Open Network and Sharing Center.)
- Navigate to Network and Sharing Center
- In the Network and Sharing Center, choose “Setup a new connection or network”.
- Select “Manually connect to a wireless network”, then Next.
- After entering the following information, click Next.
Network name: IonaWifi
Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption type: AES (this is default)
Security Key: stays blank
Tick box to Start this connection automatically
- Click “Change connection Settings”
- Check/uncheck the following, then click the Security tab:
Tick the box to Connect automatically when this network is in range
Untick the box to Look for other wireless networks while connected to this network
Untick the box to Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)
- Choose the network authentication method, Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP), then click Settings.
- Uncheck “Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate”, then choose Configure.
- Uncheck the box “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)”. Click OK.
- Choose OK to exit the Protected EAP Properties box.
- Click the “Advanced Settings” button under the Security tab.
- Check the box “Specify authentication mode” and choose User authentication. Click OK to close the window.
- Click on the notification, if present, or left-click on the wireless symbol in your taskbar (lower right-hand corner) to bring up available wireless networks. IonaWifi should say Action Needed. Click Connect.
- Enter your Iona username and password. This is the same as your username and password for the myiona.iona.edu Single Sign-On site.
- You will be connected to the IonaWifi network with a Connected, secured status.
- Open a web browser to download and install the ClearPass Onguard app, then reboot.
- Connect to IonaWifi and log in when prompted.
ClearPass OnGuard Status
- Healthy Status: Your computer meets the requirements to access Iona’s wireless.
- Quarantined: Your computer can’t connect to Iona’s wireless until you fix the error listed. This happens when your computer has no supported anti-virus, the anti-virus is turned off or the virus definitions are older than 14 days. You can fix this by visiting the remediation URL link in ClearPass or by visiting wireless.iona.edu.
Update Microsoft Windows Defender (If your virus definitions are out of date)
1. On the remediation website (wireless.iona.edu) in the navigational menu under ANTI-VIRUS UPDATES.
2. Click the link under Windows Defender to download the virus definitions.
3. Refer to the Remediation page on how to use the virus definition package you’ve downloaded.
4. Click on the “Retry” button on the ClearPass OnGuard program.
Enable Periodic Scanning
If you have alternate Antivirus Software (ex. Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG, etc.), you may be required to enable Periodic Scanning in Windows Defender:
1. Click on Shield icon in the bottom right corner to open up Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Click on Virus & Threat Protection.
3. Click the down arrow next to Windows Defender Antivirus Options.
4. Turn on the Periodic scanning toggle switch.
If you still have an “unhealthy” or “quarantined” status after updating your anti-virus program, you may need to remove it in order to get online on the IonaWifi network. Please remove your existing anti-virus and allow Windows to turn on Windows Defender, included in Windows 10, to protect your computer.
Due to the large number of cell phone vendors and models on the market Iona College does not offer cell phone support. For issues/problems with Iona College email on your cell phone, please contact your cell phone vendor.
iPhone & iPad
- Go to your Settings.
- Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select “Add Account”.
- Choose Microsoft Exchange.
- Fill in your basic information (Email Address, Password…).
- Press the 'Next' button on the top right of the screen when you’re finished and wait for the information to verify. If everything is okay you should receive checkmarks.
- Decide which feature you would like to have enable.
- Press Save.
If asked for server information
- Make sure the following fields are correct:
Email – email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org (if you’re a student)
Server – outlook.office365.com
Domain – iona.edu
Username – email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org (if you’re a student)
Password – your email password
- If asked “Do you want to try and setup without SSL” select NO (This usually means the username and/or password used is incorrect. Please verify that your email password is working by trying to use it to log in directly to your Iona email which is located on Iona’s Website in the Quick links, Online Services).
IMPORTANT: If the setup gives an error regarding your username or password please verify that your password is correct by logging into the account on a computer.
Android (Devices may differ)
- Go to your Settings.
- Go Accounts.
- Add Account.
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync or Corporate.
- Select Manual Setup and fill out the account information:
Email Address – your-email@.iona.edu OR email@example.com (if you’re a student)
Server Address – outlook.office365.com
Domain\Username - iona.edu\firstname.lastname@example.org OR iona.edu\email@example.com (if you’re a student)
Password – your email password
- Press NEXT.
- When ask to Activate, press the 'Activate' button.
- Change your ActiveSync preferences to your liking and press NEXT.
- Name your account and select Finish Setup.
IMPORTANT: Your domain and username fields may show up in separate or in a combined field.