Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page

For Parents FAQ

  • Letter from the AODE Committee

    Dear Parent/Guardian:

    During summer orientation you had an opportunity to meet Ms. Jacqueline Ripepi, LMSW, Coordinator of Alcohol and Other Drug Education Services. This letter is intended to follow up on Ms. Ripepi's message regarding alcohol and other drugs and the conversations we hope you had with your son or daughter

    College is one of the most important times in a young adult's life. We would like each student's experience at Iona to be one of great success and fun. Most importantly, we want your son or daughter to make healthy and safe choices. As staff, administrative, and student members of the Alcohol and Other Drug Education Committee, we do our best to educate students about the importance of healthy and safe choices. Issues related to substance use are a major concern on college campuses nationwide. We want to assure you that we are committed to assisting your son or daughter in developing in accordance with the Iona Mission. We know that partnering with parents has a most profound impact on student's ultimate choices.

    We ask that you continue to have conversations with your son or daughter throughout their time at Iona, about the serious risks associated with excessive alcohol use and the use of illegal substances. We know that this can be a difficult subject to broach, but it is extremely important given the national statistics: 72.3% of students have consumed alcohol and 42% have used marijuana prior to arriving at college. Although the majority of students make safe decisions regarding alcohol and other drug consumption, some do abuse these substances, which may lead to accidents or injuries, missed class time, or academic failure.

    During orientation Ms. Ripepi discussed some different ways to begin these essential conversations with your son or daughter. We would like to remind you about a few of our favorite conversation starters:

    • Discuss your own experiences, both positive and negative, with alcohol consumption.
    • Discuss your expectations of your student's choices regarding alcohol and other drug use.
    • Discuss some of the many positive alternatives to substance use offered on campus and in the New Rochelle community.

    For additional information, please contact the Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Education Services at (914)633-2026.

    We hope that the conversations you begin at home will lead to healthy choices throughout your son or daughter's college career.

    Members of the Alcohol & Other Drug Education Committee

  • How do I know if my child has a problem with alcohol or other drugs?

    Worried about your Child?

    How Can I Recognize Signs of a Possible Alcohol/Drug Problem in My Child?

    Check all that apply:

    • Drinking and/or drugging to calm nerves, forget worries or boost a depressed/sad mood
    • Missing morning classes, falling behind on course work, and sudden or incremental deterioration in academic performance
    • Guilt about drinking and/or drugging
    • Unsuccessful attempts to cut down or stop drinking and/or drugging
    • Experiencing unwanted consequences and acting irresponsibly (getting in trouble with school authorities and/or legal authorities, fighting, destruction of property, frequent hangovers)
    • Lying about or hiding drinking and/or drugging habits
    • Causing harm to oneself or someone else as a result of drinking and/or drugging
    • Needing to drink and/or drug in increasingly greater amounts in order to achieve desired effect
    • Feeling irritable, resentful, unreasonable, and moody when not drinking and/or drugging
    • Medical, social, family, or financial problems have led to using alcohol and/or drugs as a coping mechanism
    • Spending a great deal of time getting and using alcohol and/or drugs
    • Drinking and/or drugging in risky situations such as before driving or before engaging in unwanted/unprotected sex
    • Social life revolves entirely around drinking and/or drugging and there is a loss of interest in things that used to be pleasurable

    What to do if you think your child might have an alcohol and/or drug problem:

    • Choose a good time to talk with your child, for example, soon after an alcohol and/or drug related problem has occurred. Choose a time when he or she is sober, when both of you are calm and when you can speak privately. Use this time to be an active listener while maintaining a non-judgmental stance.
    • Be specific. Let your child know that you are genuinely concerned about his or her drinking and/or drugging and you want to be supportive in getting them help. Back up your concern with examples of the ways in which his or her drinking and/or drugging has caused problems for both of you, including the most recent incident.
    • Don't make excuses for your child's behavior. Many people try to protect their child from the consequences of his or her drinking and/or drugging behavior by making excuses to others and by minimizing problem behavior. Making excuses and minimizing allows your child to avoid changing his or her behavior.
    • Let your child know that risky drinking, including binge drinking, and/or drug use, can lead to more severe problems including alcohol dependence (alcoholism) and/or drug dependence, as well as to injuries, unwanted/unprotected sex, academic failure, and interpersonal problems.
    • Seek out resources on campus to help your child. Talk to a clinician at the wellness or counseling center, or a residence hall staff member. Ask the wellness or counseling center staff what resources are available for your child and how to motivate him or her to use them.
    • Use the resources. Do what you can to encourage your child to use the resources you identify but remember the only person who can change is your child. If you think you also need help due to your child's drinking and/or drugging, don't hesitate to seek it.
    • Keep in mind you are not alone. There are many people and resources on campus that can support your effort to get help for your child. Seek them out. (See below for details).


    Who do I call if my child needs help?

    Counseling Center
    (914) 633-2038
    2nd Floor of Spellman Hall