Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page


One of the reasons moving out of the residence halls can be so exciting is because you can choose to have a pet that is more than a fish in a small tank. However, before getting a pet you may want to consider a few possible issues:


  • If you travel to and from home during breaks by car and need to stay overnight on the road, make sure you book ahead with a pet friendly hotel.
  • In a car, do not let your animal travel freely.  Purchase a carrier or a proper pet harness. 
  • Check with your vet to see if your pet may need motion sickness medication.
  • If you are flying with your pet, check with the airline to see how they prefer your pet travel.  If the pet travels as air freight, you will need a container, documents confirming its health, shipping papers, and money to pay the cost!
  • Arrive at the airport at least two hours early to make sure your pet has enough exercise, food, water, and exercise before a trip.
  • Bring plenty of supplies: food, a blanket, toys, a brush, treats, a scooper, plastic bags, and deodorant or air freshener.
  • Make sure pets get plenty of ventilation and fresh water.


  • Some rental units do NOT allow pets.
  • Many rental units charge a pet deposit in addition to a security deposit as an initial cost.
  • Keep your pet away from neighbors until it feels comfortable in its new environment.
  • Keep your pet on a leash at all times (if appropriate).
  • Be respectful of your neighbor’s property and peace.  Do not let the animal make a lot of disturbing noise.
  • Clean up after your pet.  Keep a clean yard, cage, etc.
  • You will be responsible if your pet injures a visitor or a neighbor. Sometimes rental insurance covers this liability, but sometimes it does not.  Check!

Town Rules:

  • Purchase a license for your dog (over 6 months old) at the Humane Society (see below).  A spayed dog license costs 12.50.  An unspayed dog license costs 17.50.
  • It’s illegal to have an unleashed dog in a public space.  Unleashed dogs can be taken by the Humane Society.  Chains or leases must not exceed 6 feet. 
  • New Rochelle municipal codes require you pick up after your pet.
  • Bring your pet to the New Rochelle Ward Acres Park.  You need a permit.  To get your permit, bring your license (with proof of a rabies vaccine) and $50 for residents ($250 for non residents) to the Parks and Recreation Office at City Hall (515 North Ave., New Rochelle, NY 10801).  The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.  Call them at 914-654-2087.  Costs for permits are prorated throughout the year.


  • Find a good vet in your new town and transfer your pet’s medical records in case of illness.
  • Pets require a lot of care and attention.  Make sure you have the time, money, and ability to care for a pet.
  • Consider pet insurance.  More than one in three pets have an emergency vet treatment each year and two out of three pets have a serious health problem in their lifetime.  Costs to treat pets can be upwards of $5000!  If you cannot afford this, consider pet insurance.  Or consider not having a pet.

New Rochelle Humane Society
70 Portman Rd.
New Rochelle, NY 10801
(914) 632-2925
Open 7 days a week 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, except Thursdays 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm.