Safety in the Residence Hall
Our residents' safety and security in our Iona community is important to us. Our residential spaces are equipped with security and fire safety devices as well as policies and procedures to ensure a safe and healthy living environment for all. Residential Life, in coordination with Campus Safety and Security and Facilities Management, work 24/7 to allow for a response to emergency and non-emergency situations.
Nevertheless, everyone has a role to play. Our most important safety asset is our students who help keep our community safe.
In Our Home Pledge
As a member of the Iona community, I pledge to speak up in both emergency and non-emergency situations, to follow rules and procedures, and to utilize campus resources to increase my personal safety and the safety of others. I will do the following:
- Show my Iona ID when walking into the residence halls.
- Wait for the crosswalk light to cross North Avenue, Summit Avenue and Beechmont Drive, and follow the directions of the Campus Safety officer.
- Commit to not texting while I am crossing the road.
- Lock my room/apartment door when I leave or even when I am hanging out inside.
- Walk with a group after dark and stay in well-lit areas.
- Stick together with friends. If I go out with a group of friends, I will do everything possible to make sure that we stay together and that no one is left behind.
- Travel in well-lit areas and with a friend when walking after dark. We have “Blue Alert” emergency phones strategically placed throughout campus to use for emergency situations or if you observe suspicious activity.
- Be attentive to, and observant of, my surroundings.
- If I live in an apartment, I will not to buzz in someone who rings my bell until I have verified who they are to help protect both me and my community. If I live in a residence hall, I will not let anyone in behind me who hasn’t showed their ID.
- Avoid potentially risky or dangerous situations.
- Make sure that people I do not know do not follow me into my residence hall or inform the Front Desk Attendant.
- Keep emergency exits in my residence hall closed and report propped doors to Residential Life staff.
- Sign-up for the Campus Text Notification System to ensure that I will receive text notifications from Iona advising me of campus alerts.
- Report safety concerns or conditions in my residence hall or on campus.
- Get help for fellow Gaels when they need it. Gaels take care of Gaels.