Frequently Asked Questions

  • Will the IRB hold orientation meetings for faculty and staff?

    Yes, two orientation sessions will be scheduled each semester. The times and dates will be posted on this website.
  • Are student orientation sessions available?

    A student orientation session is held each fall for students in the Honors Program.
    Other students should email the IRB Chair regarding additional sessions.
  • What ethics training do I need?

    Faculty and graduate students compete the CITI training. Faculty should complete CITI training whether they are carrying out their own research or supervising a student project.
    Undergraduate students complete either the CITI of the NIH training at the discretion of their department.
  • Do accreditation-related studies require IRB approval?

    No, they are considered program evaluation, not research.
  • For how long does data need to be retained by a department?

    We recommend following your professional organization's guidelines.
  • Do case studies (single subject design) need IRB approval?

    They only need approval if the researcher intends to present at a conference or publish findings.
  • If a department chair is asked by an external researcher to forward surveys to his/her faculty members or majors, must the study be approved by our IRB?

  • Where does a faculty member who is supervising a student project sign?

    There are two options. The faculty member may sign as either Co-investigator or Supervisor.
  • Do faculty and staff applications require a supervisor's or chair's signature?

  • How will I know that an application has been approved?

    The P.I., Co-investigators, and faculty Supervisors will all receive the Notification form via email.
  • I am an investigator from another university who would like to access Iona faculty, students, and/or staff for my research project. What procedure do I follow?

    Our policy is being updated and will be posted shortly.
  • I would like to use material generated by others (such as photos on a website) in my study. Do I need permission?

    A policy for this situation (called the Fair Use Exception) is being developed and will be posted.