Nominate Student Speakers
Graduating students who would like to be considered for the role of student speaker during the May 2021 Commencement ceremony, and who meet the criteria listed below, should submit a letter of application to email@example.com, Attention: Commencement Student Speaker Committee. Be sure to include your contact information in the letter. Two students will be selected from among the applicants, one from the baccalaureate programs and one from the master's degree programs. The application letter is due by February 8, 2021.
Academic Criteria for Eligibility
- Baccalaureate Degree Students - 3.50 GPA
- Master’s Degree Students
- School of Business - 3.75 GPA
- School of Arts & Science - 3.75 GPA
Please note that you must have applied for graduation in the Office of Student Financial Services and been determined eligible for February, June, or August 2021 degree conferral in order to serve as a student speaker during the commencement ceremony.
Please include the following information in the application letter:
- A description of academic record, including the program of study, academic honors, and other examples of scholastic achievement.
- A description of service to the Iona Community, including active and significant participation in co-curricular and extracurricular life; for returning adult students or students in the master’s program, emphasis may be on service to the general community.
- A description of the purpose/theme of the proposed speech, or a brief outline of the proposed speech. (Do not submit the entire speech; submit a proposal only.) PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIME ALLOCATED FOR THE SPEECH IS TWO (2) MINUTES AND PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
- The names and departments of two faculty members at Iona College who are willing to serve as references for you.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee under the auspices of the Office of the Provost. The students who are selected as commencement speakers will be required to work with a faculty member or administrator on the final draft of their speeches as well as on the oral presentation. Selected speakers will have both the delivery and substance of their speech reviewed by May 3, 2021.
For more information, please contact Office of the Provost, McSpedon Hall, Attention: Commencement Student Speaker Committee.