Faculty Awards are granted in recognition of a variety of areas including student and faculty research, integrated-service learning, service to the College, and innovation and excellence in teaching. Recipients of these awards are full-time, clinical, tenure-track and tenured faculty members.
These awards are consistent with Iona College’s strategic plan to support the great work of its faculty and each award comes with a $2,000 honorarium as part of the recognition.*
The awards are sponsored by the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Patrick C. Dunican, Jr., Esq., ‘88, and the leadership of Iona College.
All faculty, administrators, and staff are welcome to participate in the nomination process. Award recipients are announced in late April and recognized at the May Honors Convocation.
Br. Arthur A. Loftus Outstanding Student Research Award
This award is for a faculty member who is actively engaged in research and/or scholarly activity with undergraduate or graduate students.
The Irene Hammerbacher Outstanding Faculty Research Award
This award is for a faculty member whose achievements in research, scholarship, or creative expression, have had a significant critical reception and are recognized nationally or internationally.
Br. Richard B. Power Award For Integrating Service Learning Into The Classroom
This award is for a faculty member who has demonstrated excellence in teaching that includes the integration of innovative approaches to service learning, or notable collaboration with faculty outside their department for incorporating service learning beyond the classroom.
Br. William H. Barnes Memorial Award For Service To The College
This award is for a faculty member who has demonstrated exceptional contributions to the College community as shown through leadership in areas ranging from faculty governance or administrative work, mentoring of student activities, sponsorship of College events, to initiation of new service projects for students, faculty, and other members of the College community.
The Catherine McCabe Award For Innovation And Excellence In Teaching
This award is for a faculty member who has demonstrated exceptional teaching, recognized concern for students and colleagues and sensitivity to the mission of the College, and a commitment to high standards of professional and personal life.
Br. William B. Cornelia Distinguished Faculty Award
This award is for a faculty member who has achieved distinction as a teacher-scholar as documented through student- and peer-teaching evaluations; publications, invited lectures and papers, performances or shows; leadership in professional societies, work on editorial boards, membership in prestigious professional organizations; references, quotes or appearances in media; or other kinds of selective positions of leadership.
*The monetary awards are considered taxable compensation to the recipient in accordance with the IRS code.
- Faculty, staff, and administrators may nominate faculty for these awards.
- Nominations must be submitted by April 9, 2021 to the chair of the Faculty Senate, Dr. Thomas Moretti c/o Office of the Provost.
- Nominators must email nomination materials; a brief narrative of the faculty member’s accomplishments that merit the specific award, and a curriculum vitae, which may be obtained from the nominee or her/his department. Academic Departments will provide teaching evaluations for the two teaching awards.
- One letter of support from an additional peer at Iona College.
- Review of applicants will be completed by April 20, 2021.
- Awards will be announced by the first week of May.
- Awards will be conferred at the Honors Convocation on May 22, 2021.
- Faculty can be nominated for only one award.
- All documents must be completed and received by the deadline to be eligible.
- A member of the selection committee cannot be nominated for an award.
- Chair of Faculty Senate
- Dean, School of Arts & Science
- Dean, LaPenta School of Business
- Faculty member from School of Arts & Science
- Faculty member from the LaPenta School of Business
For questions or more information please contact:
Office of the Provost