Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What ethics training do I need?

    All faculty, staff, and students must complete the CITI Program training to carry out their own research or supervise a student's research project.
  • Do accreditation-related studies require IRB approval?

    No, they are considered program evaluation, not research.
  • For how long does data need to be retained by a department?

    We recommend following your professional organization's guidelines.
  • Do case studies (single subject design) need IRB approval?

    They only need approval if the researcher intends to present at a conference or publish findings.
  • If a department chair is asked by an external researcher to forward surveys to his/her faculty members or majors, must the study be approved by our IRB?

  • Do faculty and staff applications require a supervisor's or chair's signature?

  • How will I know that an application has been approved?

    Researchers are notified by email that his/her application has been approved.  An official approval form is filed with the Institutional Contact.  If the researcher needs a copy of the approval form, he/she may request it from the Institutional Contact.
  • I am an investigator from another university who would like to access Iona faculty, students, and/or staff for my research project. What procedure do I follow?

    External researchers must work in collaboration with a full-time Iona College faculty or staff member.  The Iona College faculty or staff member must submit an application to the Iona College IRB.
  • I would like to use material generated by others (such as photos on a website) in my study. Do I need permission?

    A policy for this situation (called the Fair Use Exception) is being developed and will be posted.