Minority and/or Women’s Business Enterprise Statement of Commitment
Iona University is committed to assisting Minority- and/or Women-owned Business Enterprises (MWBEs) in their long-term growth and development, thereby enhancing the economic stability and vitality of the community Iona serves through its student body. This commitment aligns with the University's key values: the pursuit of knowledge and truth; devotion to integrity, diversity, excellence and service within the University; and building relationships with the community at-large. In line with this commitment, it is the goal of Iona University to identify qualified MWBEs for the specific purpose of affording them the opportunity to work with the University.
Through its competitive bid process, the University will seek to award bid orders to these businesses when they are appropriately certified and qualified. MWBE vendors are encouraged to notify the Business Services & Purchasing Department, Office of Corporate, Foundation and Government Relations or Facilities Management if they are interested in doing business with Iona University.
As part of this commitment Iona is identifying the MWBE vendors with whom the University does business to make good-faith efforts to procure materials, supplies, equipment and services.
The MWBE commitment ensures minority- and/or women-owned business enterprises have unimpeded ability to compete in the procurement process at Iona University. The University seeks to promote and increase participation of New York State businesses that encounter difficulties with market entry, customer access and financial growth.
The initiative is committed to assist departments in identifying diversity suppliers and monitoring progress in developing relationships and providing procurement opportunities for these suppliers.
Specific Requirements for Grants
State funded grants often require utilization of MWBE vendors. Therefore, compliance with the University’s statement of commitment and/or showing a good faith effort to procure MWBE related services and/or materials is crucial to receiving funds related to grants.
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)
A business enterprise in which at least fifty-one percent (51%) is owned, operated and controlled by citizens or permanent resident aliens who are meeting the ethnic definitions listed below:
- Black: Persons having origins from any of the Black African racial groups.
- Hispanic: Persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Central or South American descent of either Native American or Latin American origin, regardless of race.
- Asian-Pacific: Persons having origins from the Far East, Southeast Asia or the Pacific Islands.
- Asian-Indian Subcontinent: Persons having origins from the Indian subcontinent.
- Native American or Alaskan Native: Persons having origins in any of the original peoples of North America.
Women Business Enterprise (WBE)
A business enterprise in which at least fifty-one percent (51%) is owned, operated and controlled by citizens or permanent resident aliens who are women.
- New York State Contract System - NYS M/WBE Directory
- New York State Office of the State Comptroller - Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Program
- Summary of Article 15-A of the Executive Law