2/26: EMPLOYEE COVID-19 TESTING
Beginning on March 5, COVID-19 testing will be available for faculty and staff on Fridays from 9 - 10:30 a.m. at the Arrigoni Center. Employees may simply walk in. No appointment is needed at this time.
Please install the NAVICA app before arriving to the testing site. You will be required to display the NAVICA app before being tested.
2/26: MARK YOUR CALENDAR - UPCOMING COLLEGE COUNCIL MEETINGS
The College Council will meet on the following Wednesdays at 3:30 p.m. during the Spring 2021 semester:
- March 3
- April 7 (General Assembly)
- May 5
All members of the Iona community are invited to attend these meetings.
Additionally, students, faculty and staff members will have the opportunity to participate in the General Assembly meeting on April 7.
Zoom Meeting Information
Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16465588656,97679176017# or +13126266799,97679176017#
2/26: IONA COLLEGE MULTICULTURAL RECOGNITION CEREMONY, CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Student Life Diversity Committee welcomes members of the Iona College community to nominate students to be recognized at the annual Multicultural Recognition Ceremony. This ceremony offers the opportunity to:
- Celebrate the cultural diversity of our graduating students' heritage, culture, persistence, and academic achievement.
- Recognize students of all class years who are receiving awards for their commitment to diversity.
The ceremony will take place on Friday, May 14, 2021. For more information or to nominate a student, please go to www.iona.edu/MRC or email Sara Osorio at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations close on March 29, 2021.
3/3: IONA SCHOLARS DAY SIGN UP DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 3/15
Due to popular demand, the deadline to sign up for Iona Scholars Day has been extended to Monday, March 15! Iona Scholars Day is a time for students to share their scholarly and creative works and we encourage all to participate.
Past Announcements: Spring 2021
2/16: BLACK HISTORY MONTH KEYNOTE SPEAKER KEVIN POWELL, 2/23
Iona College is honored to welcome Black History Month keynote speaker Kevin Powell on Tuesday, February 23, as he presents When We Free the World: Making the Case for Love, Real Diversity & Inclusion, and A New Kind of Leadership. Inspired by his newest book of the same title, this will be an interactive town hall meeting where we confront the challenges in front of us and move forward together in action. All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend.
Keynote Speaker Kevin Powell
Tuesday, February 23, Noon – 1 p.m.
Join via Zoom
Powell is an American writer, civil and human rights activist, poet, journalist, public speaker, filmmaker and entrepreneur. He is a native of Jersey City, raised by a single mother in extreme poverty, but managed to study at Rutgers University in New Brunswick thanks to New Jersey’s Educational Opportunity Fund. Kevin has gone on to be the author of more than a dozen books, including The Education of Kevin Powell: A Boy’s Journey into Manhood, a critically acclaimed and brutally honest memoir about his life, including his youth.
Prior speaking engagements include stops at Microsoft headquarters, Stanford University, the U.S. Department of Justice and the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the "March on Washington," among many others. On behalf of the U.S. State Department, he toured Japan lecturing on the relevance of Dr. King's famous "I Have A Dream" speech in the 21st century.
We are honored and excited to have him join us at Iona, and encourage all to attend what is sure to be an informative, inspiring and important discussion.
2/14: HYNES WEST CARDIO AND WEIGHT ROOM REGISTRATION SYSTEM
From Iona College Athletics
In conjunction with the reopening of the Hynes Athletics Center, we are excited to announce the launch of a new registration system for users of the cardio and weight rooms in Hynes West. Follow the links and instructions below to gain access and book workout times within our renovated facilities. All you need to sign up is your name, phone number, and Iona email address. Everyone who enters the Hynes Center will need to show a reservation through this system and their completed Gael Care App. This system will also ensure the facility adheres to current CDC health, safety and capacity guidelines.
Further details on this system can be found in the Hynes Center or by reaching out to Taylor Wilson, director of Campus Recreation, at email@example.com.
Instructions to download and activate the “DSE Reservations” mobile app:
- Log in to the reservations system on any device (computer, phone, or tablet)
- Click the "Mobile App" link on the top of the screen
- After downloading the app, remain on the "Mobile App" page on your computer phone or tablet
- Click "Activate New Device" to generate the information needed to activate the app
- Open the mobile app and enter the values generated from step 4.
Note that the app can be installed on multiple devices using the same flow as described above. Successfully activated devices should appear under "Activated Devices" on the "Mobile App" web page.
Fr. James Martin, SJ, author of the new book Learning to Pray: A Guide for Everyone, will be a special guest speaker this Wednesday as part of the “Vow of Conversation” series.
Presented by The Sister Kathleen Deignan, CND Institute for Earth and Spirit at Iona College and the Thomas Merton Contemplative Initiative, all students, faculty and staff are invited to attend.
“A Vow of Conversation,” featuring Fr. James Martin, SJ
Join via Zoom
Wednesday, February 10, 2021
7:30 – 9 p.m.
2/8: Ash Wednesday at Iona
Services for Ash Wednesday, on February 17, will take place in the Burke Lounge of Spellman Hall at the following times:
- 12:30 p.m. (Mass)
- 2 p.m.
- 3 p.m.
- 4 p.m.
- 6 p.m.
- 8 p.m.
In accordance with the guidelines of the Archdiocese of New York, social distancing and safety protocols will be in place for the distribution of ashes at each service.
2/3: SUBMISSIONS OPEN FOR IONA SCHOLARS DAY, 4/22
Whether you are conducting groundbreaking research, delving into comparative literature or performing on a stage, Iona Scholars Day is the perfect opportunity to pursue your passions and share them with others who are eager to celebrate your interests.
Now in its 12th year, Iona Scholars Day brings together a showcase of student and faculty work, inviting presentations from all majors and class years. This year’s virtual event will take place on April 22, 2021.
Students and faculty are doing incredible work in and out of the classroom. We encourage you to share it with your friends, peers, professors and colleagues. More information will be shared with participants.
Iona College is proud to announce that the Hynes Athletics Center is now open. The cardio and student weight rooms have undergone a transformative renovation, expanding the footprint of usable space with brand new equipment.
Please note the following guidelines put in place this semester:
- Due to the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, we will continue to operate with extra precautions and restrictions.
- The building and workout spaces will be limited to Iona College students and staff.
- Capacity restrictions in each room will be enforced. The limits include a maximum of 17 users at a time in the cardio room and 10 users in the student weight room.
- Mulcahy Gymnasium will remain closed for general use until further notice.
- Hours of operation will be:
- Monday-Friday: 7 a.m.-2 p.m. and 3-10 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday: Noon-8 p.m.
- Please note during the week, the building will be closed from 2-3 p.m. for cleaning and sanitization.
- Users of the Hynes West facilities are required to check in at the front desk and show a completed Gael Care app registration in the lobby before entering any space.
- A college-issued ID card is also mandatory to enter the building. Failure to produce an Iona ID will result in the inability to use the facilities.
- All users are required to wear a mask at all times and maintain proper social distance.
- All equipment must be wiped down before and after each use.
- Time restrictions will be in place to ensure equitable availability for all members of the Iona community.
Details on the signup system for time slots will be shared as soon as available. In the meantime, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.