Mobile Device Policy
As of the effective date of this policy, college departments shall no longer purchase communication devices, nor renew or extend existing cell phone contracts, except as noted below in the section regarding college-owned devices. All College issued devices should be purchased through Business Services using approved vendors and existing corporate contracts.
Iona College may provide a wireless communication stipend to an employee who has a documented business need for a communication device and continues to meet eligibility requirements as outlined under the Eligibility Requirements section below.
The wireless communication stipend is intended to reimburse the employee for the business use of the device. The stipend is not intended to fund the cost of the device nor pay for the entire monthly bill. The assumption is that most employees also use their wireless communication devices for personal calls.
Cell phones and other wireless devices should not be selected as an alternative to other means of communication, such as landlines, pagers and radio phones, when such alternatives would provide adequate but less costly service to Iona College.
Plans and devices offered by Iona College will be for the departments listed below. Criteria for being issued a College phone is cost-effectiveness and/or having responsibilities that include being available to external constituents (i.e., potential and existing students and families, outside contractors)
- Admissions within Enrollment Management
- Information Technology
- Student Life
All other personnel requesting a college issued phone must be evaluated on a case by case basis. Personnel should submit in writing how they meet either of the criteria above for review and approval by the Senior Vice President for Finance & Administration.
Members of the President Cabinet may decide via preference whether they will accept a stipend on a personal mobile device or be issued a College device.
To qualify for the wireless communication stipend, the employee must have a business need, defined and approved by the supervisor or organizational unit head that includes one or more of the following:
- The employee’s job requires that they work regularly in the field and need to be immediately accessible.
- The employee’s job requires that they need to be immediately accessible outside of normal business hours.
- The employee is responsible for critical infrastructure and needs to be immediately accessible at all times.
- The employee travels and needs to be accessible or have access to information technology systems while traveling.
An employee ceases to be eligible when the employee’s job duties change and the supervisor or organizational unit head determines that the new duties do not support a business need for a wireless communication plan stipend or when the employee terminates employment with Iona College.
Eligibility for the stipend or the level of the stipend provided is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
The wireless communication stipend does not constitute an increase to base pay, nor will it be included in the calculation of percentage increases to base pay due to raises, job upgrades, retirement or other compensation increases. The stipend will not be subject to withholding taxes.
See the Wireless Communication Enrollment Form for allowable stipend amounts.
Responsibilities of Employees Receiving Stipend
When a wireless communication stipend has been approved and provided to an employee for the conduct of official business, the employee must comply with the following:
- Complete a Wireless Communication Enrollment Form
- The employee will provide the phone number within five days of activation and will be available for calls (in possession of the wireless communication device and have it turned on) during those times specified by the supervisor or organizational unit head.
- The employee may select any wireless carrier whose service meets the requirements of the job responsibilities as determined by the supervisor or organizational unit head.
- The employee must inform Iona College when the eligibility criteria are no longer met or when the wireless service has been cancelled.
- The supervisor or organizational unit head may periodically request that the employee provide a copy of the first page of the phone bill in order to verify that he/she has an active wireless phone plan. The supervisor or organizational unit head may also periodically request documentation of substantial business use. At a minimum, documentation is required when initially applying for the stipend. The employee is responsible for all charges on his/her personal wireless plan.
- The employee is responsible for complying with international, federal, state, and municipal laws regarding the use of wireless phones and other communication devices while driving. Under no circumstances will Iona College be liable for non-compliance.
- The employee should use discretion in relaying confidential information over wireless devices since wireless transmissions are not secure.
- The employee will be responsible for any fees associated with a change or termination of the contract caused by a personal decision by the employee, employee misconduct, involuntary termination, or misuse of the device or service. Iona College shall bear such costs in the event the termination of the employee’s service provider contract is required due to a change in College policy or other reason unrelated to the employee’s violation of this policy.
- The employee does not need to maintain a log for business and personal phone calls if receiving a wireless stipend.
- Iona College reserves the right to require any mobile device accessing Iona College’s infrastructure to be subject to mobile device security policies and guidelines as established by Iona College.
- Security policies may include device requirements for mobile anti-virus/spyware, mobile firewall, secure communications, encrypted file folders including storage cards, strong passwords, two-factor authentication, and/or destruction and disabling in the event of a lost or stolen device. Costs for any mobile security measures will become the financial responsibility of the organizational unit and/or the individual owner of the device at the time such requirements become college policy.
- Information Technology will assist with email and calendar synchronization provided that the user receives a monthly phone/data stipend from Iona College.
- Technical support for the cell phone portion of smart phone/PDA devices must be obtained from technical support from the vendor providing the phone.
Extraordinary business use of an employee’s personal wireless device in excess of the monthly stipend can be reimbursed with appropriate documentation and approval.
Misuse or fraudulent receipt of a wireless communication stipend may result in progressive administrative and/or disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Departmental policies may be more (but not less) restrictive than Iona College policy.
Eligible employees receiving a stipend will be reviewed annually by the appropriate Senior Vice President for continued eligibility.
Services related to business use on a personal iPad device will be evaluated on a case by case basis as well as requests for College issued iPad devices assigned to an individual for job-related responsibilities. iPad devices required for departmental operational needs (e.g., iPad with credit card payment functionality) are to be requested through Information Technology.
Wireless Communication Stipends on Sponsored Projects
Contact your grants administrator for guidelines and restrictions for charging wireless communication stipends on sponsored projects.
Responsibilities of Employees Receiving a College-Owned Wireless Communication Device
The employee must comply with the following:
- Complete an Iona College-Owned Wireless Communication Device Form
- Incidental personal use is permitted. Business Services will oversee monthly bills of Iona College owned wireless communication devices to identify excessive personal use of a College-Owned Communication Device.
- With the approval of the President, a Senior Vice President or a Vice President, the College may purchase a wireless communication device with its associated plan in certain limited circumstances to rotate among departments (e.g., Resident Life). These devices should generally not be assigned to a specific individual nor taken home on a regular basis.
- If a college-owned device is lost or stolen, it is the employee's responsibility to notify his/her department, Business Services, and Information Technology immediately. An employee may be required to compensate Iona College for lost or damaged phones if the employee has been found at fault in losing or damaging the cell phone or if this is a repeat occurrence.
- The phone number associated with the device is shared with external constituents due to job responsibilities. The number is owned by Iona College and will be reassigned to employees within the department.
- Periodic monitoring of usage will be conducted to reassess whether usage meets predetermined thresholds.
- Employees who leave Iona College for any reason must turn in their College-Owned Wireless Communication device to their Department Supervisor, who will remit the phone to Business Services.
Please reach out to Nunzia (Nancy) Morano or Colette Moculski with questions or to obtain the necessary forms for the Mobile Device Policy.
Nunzia (Nancy) Morano
Program Administrator, Sr. VP of Finance Office
Office: McSpedon Hall
Phone: (914) 633-2494
Fax: (914) 633-2411
Controller, Sr. VP of Finance Office
Office: McSpedon Hall
Fax: (914) 633-2411