Professional networking can provide you with information, referrals, and potential employment opportunities within a certain industry. Networking is a key component to an effective job search strategy. You can start networking as early as your freshman year to support your career exploration and build relationships that you can utilize as a senior when you are actively job searching.
A few tips for building your network:
- Begin networking with friends, family, professors, alumni, and advisors.
- Find a mentor through the Gaels Go Further Mentoring Program.
- Be inquisitive and come prepared to your conversation with questions.
- When your conversation ends, stay connected and maintain the relationship. Connect with your contact on LinkedIn.
- Send a thank you note after your conversation and reference a key take away from your conversation.
For more information, meet with a Career Coach or visit our resources page in Handshake!