Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page

Health Services: Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is Student Health Service located?

    Student Health Service is located off campus at 760 North Avenue, directly next to the New Rochelle Fire Department.
  • Who can receive health care at Student Health Service?

    Students who have submitted a completed Health Entrance Evaluation form.
  • Do I need an appointment to be seen at Student Health Service?

    Yes. Appointment-based scheduling allows for better utilization of students' time and decreases risk to exposure of illness. Emergencies and walk-ins are promptly triaged and seen in the order of severity.
  • Will I be charged to be seen at Student Health Service?

    There is no fee to be seen in Health Service for a sick visit. However, at times the practitioners may order lab work or referral to the emergency room or specialist. All charges incurred are the responsibility of the student.
  • What outside laboratories does Student Health Service use?

    Student Health Services uses Quest Diagnostics and ACCU Reference Laboratories. Students can also go to LabCorp. It is the student's responsibility to check with their insurance provider to see if their plan participates with these laboratories.
  • How is confidentiality assured at Student Health Service?

    All medical care at Student Health Service is confidential. Health care records are completely separate from all other college records. Student Health Service staff members confer with one another as needed to provide integrated medical care for you. Otherwise, Student Health Service will not release any information about you without your written permission, except for regulatory or quality assurance audits or judgment to protect you or others from a serious threat to health or safety. If a patient wishes to allow a release of information from his/her records, the Authorization for Release of Health Information is available here.
  • What happens if I get sick when the Student Health Service is closed?

    If you are experiencing a medical emergency, dial 911.

    The following Urgent Care Centers accept most health insurances. Please call to determine if you plan participates:

    • Westmed Medical Group
      171 Huguenot Street
      New Rochelle, NY 10801
      Phone: (914) 848-8000
      Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
      Saturday & Sunday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
    • Northwell Health
      77 Quaker Ridge Rd, Unit #4
      New Rochelle, NY 10804
      Phone:(914) 266-3104
      Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
      Saturday & Sunday (including holidays): 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital, Emergency Room
      16 Guion Place
      New Rochelle, NY 10801
      Phone: (914) 365-3770
      Open 24 hours
  • I have an immunization hold on my registration and cannot register. Can you remove the hold?

    New York State Law 2165 requires all students born on or after January 1, 1957 to demonstrate proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. Students must submit documentation from their physicians or former school health officials stating they have had the necessary vaccinations or copies of lab work (titers) demonstrating immunity from these diseases. New York State Law 2167 requires all students to either receive a meningitis vaccine or sign a waiver of refusal. The waiver can be found here.

    A hold can not be removed until this information is received.