Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page

Withdrawals and Drops

A student incurs a legal obligation to pay tuition at the time of registration. A decision by the student to not attend, or to stop attending, a class constitutes either a "drop" or a "withdrawal" depending on the timing of the notice to the College. The timing of the notification also determines the tuition charges for which the student will remain liable.

Dropping a Class:

An official "drop" releases the student from all tuition liability and a record of the enrollment does not appear on the student transcript. A drop only occurs when the student notifies the College before the start of the term in which they are enrolled of his or her intent to drop the enrollment and not attend the class.

The student can drop their own enrollment through their PeopleSoft account while web registration is open. To ensure the class has been dropped you will need to check your student account and make sure the charges have been removed from your account. If the charges have not been removed, the class has NOT been successfully dropped.

After web registration closes for the term in question, the student will need to come to the Registrar's Office in person or notify the office in writing of their request to drop the class. This request must be sent from the student's Iona College email address and be directed to Kelly-Anne Giannone.

Withdrawal from a Class:

If a student notifies the College after the start of the term of their intention to withdraw their enrollment from a class, the College's official refund schedule determines the amount, if any, of the tuition refund the student may receive. Fees are non-refundable.

The tuition refund schedule is specific to the term in which the student is enrolled:

  • Fall and Spring Semesters
  • Fall, Spring and Winter Trimesters
  • Summer Sessions
  • Winter Intersession and Weekend Classes

A withdrawal from a class requires the permission of the Dean and cannot be completed by the student on-line. The student should bring the completed withdrawal form to the Office of Student Financial Services for processing. It is the date of the Deans sign-off on the withdrawal form that serves as the withdrawal date for the purposes of calculating the refund. Withdrawal from a class will result in a W grade for that class on the student transcript. Students should check with their financial aid counselor as withdrawing from a class may have an impact on financial aid awards in the current, or future, terms.

Withdrawal from ALL classes:

Withdrawal from ALL classes for which the student is enrolled is considered a College withdrawal and the student must contact both the Office of Student Success and the Office of Student Financial Services and complete the required paperwork. This is the case even if the student intends to return the following term. It is likely that the student will lose some or all of his or her financial aid, including federal loan proceeds, and will be liable for the balance on the student account.

We strongly recommend you meet with your financial aid counselor before you stop attending classes.

Withdrawals and Federal Aid Awards:

If you withdraw from all classes and you are a recipient of federal aid in the form of loans or grants, you need to be aware that the withdrawal may mean that some or all of the awards you have received for the term must be returned to the federal government as "unearned". The federal government regulations stipulate that if the student fails to complete at least 60% of the term, that a portion of the aid must be forfeit. You can do a rough calculation by counting how many days you will have been enrolled AND ACTIVELY ATTENDING CLASSES and dividing it by the total number of days in the term (you can use the academic calendar to figure this out). This number should be multiplied by the federal loans and grants you have received for that term and the result is the amount of aid you may keep. The College will be obligated to return the rest to the federal government.

As an example, let's assume Sally Student is a sophomore enrolled full time in the fall term and received a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan in the amount of $1750 for the fall term. Let's also assume that Sally was eligible for a Pell Grant in the amount of $2500 for that term. If Sally withdraws from all of her classes on October 1 and had been in regular attendance until that date, the following would be the calculation:

# days in August, assuming the term start date is August 23:   9
# days in September: 30
# days in October:   0
Total days enrolled and attending 39
Total days in the term, using the same method, but
Ending on December 13:
39 divided by 74 = .527
Note: Any semester breaks of one week or longer are
subtracted from the number of days in the term

Multiply the total aid received of $4250 by .527. This equals $2239, which is approximately how much of the aid you can keep. The College would need to return $2011 to the federal government.

This potential loss of federal aid is an important consideration in the decision to withdraw, as it usually produces an unpaid balance on the student's account that must be immediately addressed.