My Iona

Frequently Asked Questions

If you don’t find the answer to your question below, please contact the Center of Advising and Academic Services at or (914) 633-2130.

Yes, you must always see an Academic Advisor before enrollment to ensure you are taking the correct courses for your degree. 

You must speak with an Academic Advisor to declare or change your major. 

We recommend that you speak to an Academic Advisor before making this decision. To be withdrawn from a course you must request a course withdrawal by writing to us at with the following: 

  • Your name
  • Student ID number
  • Subject
  • Course number
  • Professor’s name

We then authorize the change with the Registrar’s office. Please see the University calendar for useful deadlines.

We recommend 15 credits (five courses) to stay on target for graduation in four years. However, 12 credits (four courses) is the minimum to be a full-time student. 

You must first consult with your assigned academic advisor. There are criteria tied for making this exception that you can discuss when meeting with your advisor, and there may be additional costs involved.

This is to be discussed with the department chair where the course is taught. If they allow you to take the closed course, you will be given a closed course permission code. Approval is not guaranteed. 

You must first discuss this with an Academic Advisor prior to enrollment in any course outside of Iona. Courses taken elsewhere must be approved, and students are limited to no more than 12 credits or four courses in transfer once they’ve been admitted to Iona.