Academic Pathways Program
Academic Pathways, formerly known as ASSET, is an after-school educational enrichment and tutoring program housed at Iona University. Tutoring is provided both by professional program staff and by enthusiastic college student volunteers, the majority of whom are studying to become teachers in Iona’s accredited Education program.
The program provides elementary and middle school students with a positive atmosphere that encourages a sense of self-worth and achievement. College mentors work on an individual basis with the students to develop a relationship that ensures learning.
The program serves children in grades K-8.
Priority is given to students in the New Rochelle community who speak a language other than English at home, are eligible for the National School Lunch Program, and/or receive supplemental academic support at school.
The Academic Pathways program offers:
- Bussing to the program (within the New Rochelle school district)
- Snack and drinks
- Homework assistance
- Access to a suite of Chromebooks for homework and enrichment
- Books and educational enrichment activities
- In-house enrichment opportunities offered by faculty and students at Iona University
- Special events: Trick-or-treating in the residence halls, Christmas potluck, Easter egg hunt, and spring field day
- We run fall and spring semester-long sessions and follow Iona University's academic calendar. We are not open when New Rochelle public schools are closed or have a half day.
- The program runs from 4-5:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, when in session.
- Tutoring takes place in Amend Hall (first floor) on the Iona University campus. Staff is only available Monday - Friday, 4-5:30 p.m., when in session, or by appointment.