Through a partnership with Sacred Heart University, spend a two-week intensive program in May in the Dingle and County Kerry region of Ireland.
National Geographic once described the area as “the most beautiful place on Earth.” Many refer to this idyllic location as the “best of both worlds,” since it provides visitors with all of the amenities of a tourist haven, but in an authentic setting with traditional Irish culture. Dingle is home to many hospitable places where you can meet the welcoming local people. It is also a site of tremendous learning resources; magnificent relics, ruins and holy places; immersive activities and opportunities to try something new; and a vast, living record of folklore, celebrations, history and authentic music and dance.
- Dates: Summer 2021
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2021
- Estimated Cost: $3,985
- Part-time Sacred Heart University Tuition (3 credits): $1,800
- Confirmation Fee/Deposit: $250
- Program Fee: $1,785
- Registration Fee: $115
- Terra Dotta Fee: $35
Deposit/Program Fees include: Program orientation, airport transfer (only if you are on the group flight), housing in shared accommodations, mandatory basic international health insurance, some meals and excursions.
Deposit/Program Fees do not include: Travel to/from host country, most meals, gym fees, visa/resident permit fees, major medical insurance, and all personal expenses.
- BI 104/278: Coastal Ecology of Ireland
- BI 199/299: Applied Microbiology in Irish History and Culture
- CM 132/HI 299: Irish Identity in Media and History
- EC 211: Economics of Social Issues
- EX 299: Health and Fitness: An Irish Perspective
- NU 299/343: Cultural Diversity in Healthcare Delivery
- NU 370: Nursing Leadership
- PS 389: Experiential Models of Psychology and Neuroscience
- SM 265: Sports Marketing
- HS 230: Introduction to Global Health
- HS 310: Human Growth and Development
- HS 336: Childhood Health Inequities: Social and Environmental Determinants of Health
- PS 299: Mind and Matter
- CM 299: Documentary Media: Representations of the Authentic Irish/American Experience
Some exciting excursions that you will enjoy as part of this trip include:
- Archaeological tours to sites on the Peninsula
- A night at a traditional Irish singing club
- Irish set dancing lessons
- A boat trip to the Blanket Islands off the coast of Dingle
- Weekly field trips planned to complement specific courses
- Recreational and social activities such as: sea kayaking, boat trips to see Fungie (Dingle's resident dolphin), walk up Mount Brandon, and horseback riding (additional cost)
- Cycling in the Killarney National Park
- Day trip around the beautiful and majestic Ring of Kerry
- Pottery night where you can decorate your own pottery mug
Housing is a part of your program fee. In Dingle, you will live in Glor na Habhann, new and fully furnished townhouse-style residences, just a few minutes from the Sacred Heart University classroom building and markets, tourist attractions, theatres, and other amenities. Townhouses include a fully appointed kitchen, washer and dryer, two bathrooms, fireplace, television, and wireless Internet service.