Computer Use Policy
The computer resources of Iona University are available to authorized students, faculty, administrators, and staff for educational, research, and administrative purposes. It is Iona's policy to keep restrictions on the individual user to a minimum, while providing the best possible service to other users of the system. In order to maintain this policy, it is essential that the users themselves observe reasonable standards of behavior regarding the use of the computing facilities. The following actions are prohibited:
- Any attempt to modify or damage computer equipment
- Any attempt to modify or damage computer or network software
- Improper use of the computer equipment
- Installation of non-academic games on University systems
- Recreational game playing
- Using an ID belonging to another user
- Using a non-Iona issued account to collect or transmit data
- Unauthorized reading, use of, or deletion of private files or email belonging to another user
- Sharing user IDs and passwords with other users or any other person
- Any attempt to circumvent system protection and security features
- Knowingly using any system to produce system failure or degrade performance
- Engaging in unauthorized duplication, alteration or destruction of data, programs or software
- Transmitting or disclosing data, programs or software belonging to others or duplicating copyrighted materials
- Use of computer resources for private purposes, including, but not limited to, the use of computer resources for profit making or illegal purposes
- Use of mobile apps by any department or organization within the university to transact monetary business without written approval of the Vice Provost for Information Technology/CIO
- Maintaining credit card data in any electronic format or on computers
- Transmitting credit card data by email.
All users are expected to be familiar with and abide by the copyright laws of the United States. Such use must also comply with laws defined by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
For all official electronic communication between the University and enrolled students the authorized vehicle will be the email address assigned to students, faculty, and staff by Iona University. All employees are expected to check email regularly and respond to messages in a timely manner. This includes communication between faculty and students. Users are asked to delete unnecessary email on an annual basis.
The University reserves the right to investigate any of the above abuses, as well as any other interference with the proper functioning of the University network or infringements upon another user's rights. Any user found to have violated any of these regulations will be subject to loss of use of the computer facilities, deactivation of their computer account and other disciplinary action, including liability for the misused computer equipment, which could easily amount to thousands of dollars, as well as expulsion from school.
The University reserves the right to monitor and inspect transactions, electronic mail and data stored in or processed through any of the University's computing or business systems. This may include any and all, electronic mail or transmissions, or internet access or telephone conversations or transmissions or usage by a user by any electronic device or system, including but not limited to the use of a computer, telephone, wire, radio or electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photo-optical systems may be subject to monitoring at any and all times and by any lawful means. Users should not assume that any messages or other information stored in the University's systems is private or confidential or that the University or its designated representatives will not have a need to access and review this information.
This policy and any and all rules and regulations regarding the use of university computers are subject to revisions. All users are expected to be familiar with any revisions in the regulations. The University reserves the right to monitor all data contained in the system to protect the integrity of the system and to reassure compliance with this policy.
Updated: May 2022
All students, faculty, staff and administrators must read and electronically sign acknowledging agreement to adhere to Iona University’s Computer Use Policy.