Incoming Student Registration
Welcome to the Iona College Honors Program!
As you begin to plan your course schedule for you first semester at Iona, you will need to include specific Honors Program courses. Here is what you need to know!
How to Register
Honors students follow the Honors Core Curriculum, not the College's General Core Curriculum. Do not register for a Columba seminar, ENG 120, or Learning Community courses.
All Honors freshmen should register for one section of HON 101:
- In the Class Search function of PeopleSoft select “Honors” as department and unselect the “Open Courses Only” button. Honors courses are technically closed to all other students in the College.
- Once you decide which section fits your schedule, email Dr. Paffenroth at email@example.com and he will send you a permission code, which you will need when you register for this course.
What Courses Should I Take?
You should register for courses that meet some of the Honors Core Curriculum requirements, including:
- Courses in English, History, Religious Studies or Philosophy at the 300-level or above. Courses in these areas at 100- or 200- level may count toward a major, but will not count toward the Honors Core Curriculum
- Intro-level courses in Psychology, Sociology, Economics or Political Science (Economics 201 or 202 if you are a School of Business student)
- Math 231 or Computer Science 201
- Courses in Natural Science: Biology 101, Biology 125 (Environmental Science), Chemistry 109 or Physics 101
- A Fine and Performing Arts class at the 200-level or above
- A foreign language course (two semesters of one language are required for Honors)
If you have any College coursework taken while in high school or AP exam score reports, those official transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office.
Please plan to review this course and exam information with your Honors advisor, Dr. Paffenroth, to ensure that you do not unintentionally duplicate credit earned. You can check the Credit for Prior Coursework page to see if your transfer or AP credits will exempt you from specific academic requirements.
The Honors website has course checklists which show all Honors requirements separated by school – Arts & Science or Business. They will be very useful as you plan your courses.
School of Business students should register for BUS 100 and either BUS 130 or BUS 150. Other good options for freshman fall semester are ECO 201 or 202, MTH 231, or a foreign language.
For any questions, contact your Honors Advisor for Business students, Dr. Andrew Griffith, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEM students planning to take General Chemistry I in Fall 2020 should register for CHM 109, Section C: M/W 11 a.m. - 12:18 p.m. This section is open for Honors students only.
For any questions, contact your Honors Advisor for Science students, Dr. Sunghee Lee, at email@example.com.