Alcohol and Social Events with Alcohol Policy
The primary focus of the College is to provide for the safety and wellbeing of our students, especially through the prevention of substance abuse. Recognizing our responsibility to implement and enforce alcohol regulations that are consistent with New York State laws and address the serious issues related to personal health and safety of our students, the following establishes the Alcohol and Social Events with Alcohol Policy for the College.
The College believes that it cannot deny persons of legal age the right to drink alcohol; therefore, it will endeavor to prevent the abuse of alcohol by encouraging individuals to behave in an appropriate and responsible manner when drinking alcohol. The consumption of alcohol is a matter of concern to the College in maintaining an academic and social environment conducive to the intellectual and personal development of our students while promoting their safety and welfare.
This will be achieved through comprehensive alcohol prevention initiatives, including education, early intervention, promoting a healthy campus environment and assessment strategies. These goals can only be achieved on a campus where the legal and responsible use of alcohol is the accepted standard of behavior and the illegal use and/or abuse of alcohol is not be condoned.
The Iona College Alcohol policy includes but is not limited to the following provisions, whether these occur either on or off campus.
- No person under the age of 21 may possess, consume, or be in the presence of alcohol, except being the presence of alcohol at a registered and approved event with alcohol.
- The College prohibits any inappropriate behavior that is a direct result of alcohol consumption. Any student who is observed to be intoxicated may be found in violation of this alcohol policy.
- The College prohibits the possession of items commonly used for distribution of alcohol on any leased or owned college property. Such items include, but are not limited to, kegs, party balls, funnels, shot glasses, beer pong tables, etc.
- The College alcohol policy prohibits any games involving drinking and/or any rapid consumption techniques involving either alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages. These include but are not limited to funnels, shot glasses, beer pong tables, etc. These items, by their very nature, promote abusive alcohol consumption.
- The College prohibits the possession and consumption of alcohol within public areas and College buildings, without the permission of an authorized College official, which for students and student groups is the Vice Provost for Student Life or their designee. Residential Life buildings are controlled by Residential Life Alcohol Polices for students over the age of 21.
- It is prohibited for an underage student to be in the presence of any other person legally or illegally possessing, consuming or selling alcoholic beverages, except when authorized at a registered and approved event with alcohol.
- It is prohibited for anyone over the age of 21 to consume/possess alcoholic beverages in the presence of individuals under the age of twenty one, except when authorized at a registered and approved event with alcohol.
- The College maintains the right to register and approve an event which would permit the distribution of alcoholic beverages to persons over the age of 21, in accordance with New York State Law.
Social Event Policy (Registered and Approved Events with Alcohol)
The Social Event Policy related to registered and approved events with alcohol reflects the social climate that the Iona College community strives to establish and maintain regarding campus social life, involving the appropriate role of the use of alcoholic beverages by community members. Its success depends upon the cooperative efforts of students, faculty, administration and alumni in both understanding and upholding the spirit of personal responsibility and respect for self and others that is embodied in this Policy.
The College will permit registered and approved events with alcohol which are held on College premises that will include the legal distribution of alcoholic beverages. The sponsors of these events must first obtain approval from the authorized College official, the Vice Provost for Student Life or their designee, and complete an event with alcohol form and adhere to the process outlined below, as well as abiding by the regulations for all registered campus events. Permission from the Vice Provost for Student Life and or their designee is required for alcoholic beverages to be served in any public areas of the campus.
The possession/consumption of alcohol in the public areas of the campus is prohibited, with the exception of officially registered and approved events with alcohol.
College-sponsored events for trustees, alumni, parents, faculty, staff and administrators (no students in attendance) are exempt from the regulations below, except number 7.
Regulations for Registered and approved Event with alcohol:
- Registered and approved events with alcohol must be registered with the Vice Provost for Student Life no less than one month prior to the event and before any publicity may be distributed. The Campus Safety and Security Department must also be advised of the event prior to final approval being granted.
- There is a responsibility shared by all members of the College community for individual behavior. Student groups, organizations, or clubs which sponsor social events are also responsible for behavior that occurs at their events.
- Signs clearly stating New York state law pertaining to alcohol consumption must be conspicuously displayed at the event.
- All advertising related to events with alcohol must be approved by the Assistant Vice Provost for Student Life or their designee as to content and form.
- Non-alcoholic beverages and a sufficient quantity of food must also be available at all events with alcohol at no additional cost with the quantity determined by the Vice Provost for Student Life.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be removed from the designated area of the event.
- Whenever alcoholic beverages are to be served at an event, the sponsoring group must hire a Food Services (Chartwells) bartender who is responsible for serving alcoholic beverages to persons who demonstrate that they are 21 years of age or older. Event participants may not serve themselves or others any alcoholic beverages.
- Alcoholic beverages will only be served to persons 21 years of age or older who have proper identification and the amount to be served may be limited. Alcoholic beverages will be distributed according to the following procedure:
- students over the age of 21 will receive wristbands containing up to four tickets;
- each ticket is redeemable for one drink, for a total of up to 4 drinks per event, depending on the length of the event and other relevant circumstance, i.e. students will receive no more than one ticket for each remaining hour of the event.
- No person showing any signs of intoxication will be served alcoholic beverages at any time.
- Only one alcoholic beverage at a time may be served to each individual attending the event.
- The Director of Campus Safety and Security will establish the minimum number of campus safety officers assigned to an event with alcohol. The sponsoring group is responsible for the security costs.
- The serving of alcoholic beverages at events with alcohol must stop at least one-half hour prior to the scheduled end of the event.