Demonstration Policy and Procedures
Iona University supports the right of all members of the College community (students, faculty, and staff) as individuals or as organizations to examine, discuss, and share ideas and to express opinions on its campus. This is best accomplished when expressions of ideas are respectful, civil, and value the dignity and integrity of all persons.
In order to preserve a community atmosphere, demonstrations will be aligned with ensuring the tenets of mutual respect and consideration, and approved through clear steps, where the safety and well-being of participants and campus operations are considered. This policy sets forth approved College procedures for conducting demonstrations on campus.
Procedure for obtaining authorization to hold a demonstration:
- Organizers will provide the following information via email to the Director of Campus Safety at least three business days prior to the proposed demonstration:
- A brief description of the purpose for the demonstration.
- Name and contact information of the organizer who will be the primary point person for questions or clarifications, will be present on site during the demonstration, and will ensure all guidelines are followed.
- Date and time of the proposed demonstration.
- Expected length of the demonstration.
- Approximate number of attendees.
- Requested location for the demonstration to be approved by Campus Safety (every effort will be made to accommodate the requested location).
- The organizing College employee or student group will assume any costs associated with the approved activity.
- Campus Safety will advise the organizer if the demonstration is approved and will confirm guidelines for the demonstration including time, place and manner.
- Persons who are NOT members of the College community are not permitted to demonstrate on the Iona campus.
- Conducting a demonstration at a time, place, or in a manner other than previously approved by the Director of Campus Safety.
- Obstruction or disruption of teaching, research, administration, disciplinary procedures, or other College activities.
- Physical abuse of any person on College property or at College sponsored or supervised functions or conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any such person.
- Theft or damage to property.
- Unauthorized entry to or use of College property.
- Disorderly conduct or lewd, indecent, or obscene conduct or expression on College property or at College sponsored or supervised functions.
- Failure to comply with directives of College officials acting in the performance of their duties.
- Carrying of rigid signs or sign-posts (sticks) are prohibited. Only paper, cardboard, and cloth type materials are approved.
- Face coverings whereby the identity of the demonstrator is concealed are prohibited. Masks covering nose and mouth may be worn for medical purposes or prevention of spreading disease.
- Any other violations of law and/or College policies.
Violations of Policy:
Any violators of the policy may be requested to modify their actions to comply with standards of civil and respectful conduct. Students, faculty and administrators who violate this policy may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action which may include removal from campus.
Use of College Logo or Trademarks:
The College name and logo are trademarked and should not be used to promote or endorse any activity, event, product, cause, political party or political candidate, without approval from the Office of Marketing and Communications or appropriate College dean. Students should refer all questions to the Office of Vice President of Student Life.