Hynes Athletics Center Policy
The Hynes Athletics Center is devoted to serving the recreational needs of the Iona College student body. Membership for Iona College students is free with the presentation of a valid Iona College student ID card.
Each student who uses the Hynes Athletics Center is expected to comply with all rules and regulations set by the Recreation and Intramurals Department. These rules are in place to ensure that all facilities are used correctly for the safety and well-being of all Hynes Center members, guests and visitors.
Each person who uses the Hynes Athletics Center is expected to be in a physical condition appropriate to the activities they participate in. Although the Hynes Athletics Center staff does not require any member to provide specific evidence of such fitness, we do assume that each person will assume responsibility for the activities they participate in and use their best judgment in regard to their own physical fitness level.
Each student that enters the Hynes Athletics Center is responsible for showing proper identification at the control desk. No person shall be allowed to use the Hynes Athletics Center facilities without proper identification.
All Hynes Athletics Center members are eligible to use guest passes. Iona College reserves the right to limit use of such guest passes based on the judgment of the Director of Recreation and Intramurals.
Rules for Guest Passes:
- Members are held responsible for their guests and to inform their guests of the rules and regulations of the Hynes Athletics Center.
- Guest passes are limited to one guest per day.
- Guest passes are $5 a guest for one day.
- A valid Iona ID is required when purchasing the guest pass.
- Guest passes can be bought for an entire weekend for the price of $7.
- Guest passes are available at the Hynes Athletics Center Control Desk.
- All guests must leave a valid ID at the check-in desk. ID will be returned when the guest departs the building.
Hynes Athletics Center General Building Rules:
Please observe specific rules and regulations for the various rooms within the Hynes Athletics Center. Please be aware of the rule signage posted throughout the building.
- Personal belongings, gym bags, backpacks, etc., are not permitted in hallways, lobbies, or activity areas. Please utilize lockers on the lower level for the storage of all items.
- No food or beverages are permitted in any activity areas and/or locker rooms.
- Report all injuries to the Control Desk immediately.
- When using the jogging track, run clock-wise on even-numbered days of the month. Run counterclockwise on odd-numbered days of the month.
- Due to safety considerations, only scheduled recreational activities will be permitted.
- Smoking, tobacco and gum are prohibited.
- Appropriate shoes and attire are required as specified in activity areas.
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, rollerblades and roller skates are prohibited.
- Animals are not allowed, except guide dogs accompanying individuals with visual or hearing disabilities.
- When a blood-related injury occurs, halt activity and notify Iona staff immediately to administer treatment and activate biohazardous clean-up procedures.
- Announcements, fliers, posters, etc. are limited to the signage kiosk on the exterior of the Mulcahy Gymnasium; otherwise, all signage must be approved by Iona staff (See Recreation offices).
- Spirited competition is encouraged; however, abusive language, fighting, and/or inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated and is grounds for suspension and membership termination from the Hynes Athletics Center.