Personal Information Protection
It is a priority of Iona College to preserve the integrity of personally identifying information that may be collected during the course of regular College business. Negligence or inappropriate use of personal data will not be accepted. Information regarding applicants, employees, students and donors is subject to legal protection.
As part of the Iona College Information Security Policy, each employee is responsible for the following:
- Safeguarding personally identifying information which may include such things as name, address, age, gender, identification numbers (employee ID, Social Security number), income, employment, assets, liabilities, source of funds, payment records, personal references and health records. This includes paper and electronic files and record-keeping.
- Securely locking files and paper records containing personal information.
- Ensuring computers and applicable programs are password protected.
- Ensuring computer passwords are used consistently and changed frequently.
- Shredding and carefully disposing of records containing personally identifying information.
- Limiting access to personal information to only those who have an absolute need for its use.
- Disallowing the dissemination of personal information to outside parties without specific prior permission from the director for Human Resources and/or the vice provost for Information Technology. Immediately reporting a breach in data security to the Director for Campus Safety and the director for Human Resources and/or the vice provost for Information Technology.