Skip navigation

IONA College Logo | Go to Home Page

General Financial Aid

  • I am an entering student. Is there a checklist I can follow to ensure that I am considered for all types of available aid?


    Getting Started

    • Obtain Federal Student Aid Identification credentials (FSA ID) from the U.S. Department of Education at If you are a dependent student, one parent will also need an FSA ID.
    • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at as soon as possible on or after October 1, 2019. When completing the 2020‐2021 FAFSA you will be using income data from calendar year 2018; you should use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to populate the income data from the IRS. The priority filing deadline for freshmen students entering in Fall 2020 is April 15, 2020. The priority filing deadline for new freshmen entering in Spring 2020 is November 1, 2020. Iona’s FAFSA school code is 002737.
    • New York State residents should complete the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application at Our TAP school code is 0325.
    • Promptly complete and submit all requested additional information and documentation.

    Understanding Your Financial Assistance Plan

    After you have been admitted and have submitted your FAFSA and required documents, you will receive a Financial Aid Award letter and your log in credentials to Iona’s student information system, PeopleSoft. Review the financial aid award letter and follow all next steps as outlined on the award letter.

    The award details your eligibility for the different types of financial aid: scholarships and grants (gift awards), student loans (which must be repaid) and work study, if applicable. The following types of financial aid require the completion of additional documents:

    After You Register

    Iona College Student Financial Services does not mail paper bills. All tuition bills are generated electronically (eBill).

    • To access your eBill and to make a payment online, please log into your account. For assistance with logging onto your account, please contact the Help Desk at (914) 633-2635. Once logged on select PeopleSoft and follow this path: Self Service > Campus Finances > Bill+Payment
    • Payment, or satisfactory payment arrangement, for the fall semester must be in place by August 1. Timely payment is important to avoid late fees to your student account. Your balance due must be satisfied on or before the due date to ensure your fall semester begins smoothly, and, if you are a resident student, your housing is not impacted.
    • If there is an outstanding balance, explore your options such as Iona payment plans, Parent PLUS loans and/or alternative loans.

    Questions? Please browse for more information or contact us at 914.633.2497, or

  • Why am I still considered a "dependent" student if I am not supported by my parent(s)?

    It's a federal definition.
    There are basic requirements a student must meet to be considered an independent student. If you do not meet these requirements but you still believe you are truly independent of your parents, you may appeal for a "dependency override" with our office. The example below describes the conditions of an acceptable override, but if your situation is different please bring it to our attention for review.
    To demonstrate the "involuntary dissolution" of your family you must present:
    • A letter written by you which states that you do not and cannot have contact with your parents and also explains what precipitated the dissolution of the family.
    • A letter from a third party (someone not related to you) stating that you do not and cannot have contact with your parents. The letter must be written by someone:
    • who is professional (preferably your social worker or case worker, a member of the clergy, or a lawyer who has been represented you in legal proceedings), and;
    • who has personal, first-hand knowledge of your familial situation.
    • A copy of your completed FAFSA, which must be submitted as if you were an independent student.
    If you can provide the appropriate documentation, a dependency override will be considered for you and your financial aid award may be changed based upon an independent status. Note that just because a student is considered "independent" does not necessarily mean a student's aid will increase.
  • What is the educational expense budget?

    Every year the College compiles an educational expense budget for students based on the student’s housing status and level of enrollment. The following chart outlines the components of the various full-time budgets for the 2020-2021 academic year. Students enrolled for fewer than 12 credits per semester will have budgets based on lower tuition costs.
    2020-2021 Estimated Undergraduate Student Budget
    Direct Costs Resident Commuter
    (live with parent)
    (not with parent)
    Tuition and Fees (12-18 credits) $41,580 $41,580 $41,580
    Room and Board $16,208 - $16,208
    Sub Total Direct Costs $57,788 $41,580 $57,788
    Indirect Costs Resident Commuter Off-Campus
    Books and Supplies $1,500 $1,500 $1,500
    Transportation (Estimated) $600 $1,100 $600
    Personal (Estimated) $1,250 $1,250 $1,250
    Sub Total Indirect Costs $3,350 $3,850 $3,350
    Total Cost of Attendance* $61,138 $45,430 $61,138

    *Total includes direct educational costs and indirect costs based on full-time attendance. These costs are subject to change.
  • How does my course selection affect my financial aid?

    In general, financial aid can only be used to help pay for coursework that is used to meet degree requirements (this includes major, electives and general education requirements). Students should always consult with the Office of Student Financial Services about possible financial ramifications due to academic actions such as add/drops, withdrawals and other enrollment status considerations. 

    For example, students take classes that are not applicable to their degree in order to maintain a full-time enrollment status.  A financial aid counselor can advise whether in certain cases it may actually cost less to enroll for fewer than 12 credits.

    Since financial aid rules can be complex and can vary by the particular type(s) of financial aid it is the student’s responsibility to be aware of this information.
  • What should I do if I expect to enroll for fewer credits than what my award letter indicates?

    You should contact the Office of Student Financial Services to be repackaged. Discrepancies in enrollment may delay loan proceeds from being applied to your account and due to strict federal regulations, may necessitate the return of funds to the lender.
  • What should I do if I advance a class status in the spring semester?

    If your loan eligibility increases mid-year due to a change in class status (i.e., Freshman to Sophomore, Sophomore to Junior, etc.) you must contact us if you wish to be repackaged for additional loan funds. You will receive a letter indicating the amount posted to your account and your option to cancel the loan.
  • Are study-abroad distance learning programs eligible for financial aid?

    No. Iona students who remain in the U.S. and take a portion of their program via online courses offered by a foreign institution would not be eligible for financial aid for those online courses without a fully executed consortium agreement.
  • What is the impact of a Drug Violation / Conviction?

    A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for federal student aid funds. The student self-certifies in applying for aid that he is eligible; you’re not required to confirm this unless you have conflicting information.

    Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when he/she was a juvenile, unless he/she was tried as an adult.

    The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses. (A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.)

    Period of Ineligibility for FSA funds
    Number of Offenses Possession of Illegal Drugs Sale of Illegal Drugs
    1st offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
    2nd offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite period
    3+ offenses Indefinite period Indefinite period

    If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.
  • How does a student regain eligibility for federal student aid funds following a drug violation?

    A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make him ineligible again.

    Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it only after successfully completing a rehabilitation program as described below or if a conviction is reversed, set aside or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to you that she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program; as with the conviction question on the FAFSA, you are not required to confirm the reported information unless you have conflicting information.

    When a student regains eligibility during the award year, schools may award Pell, and Campus-based aid for the current payment period and Federal Direct Student Loans for the period of enrollment.

    Standards for a qualified drug rehabilitation program
    A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements:
    • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state or local government program.
    • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurance company.
    • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state or local government agency or court.
    • Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.
  • Does Iona College require the College Scholarship Services (CSS) Profile?

    No. Iona College only requires the FAFSA for financial aid consideration.
  • Where can I find Financial Aid Forms?

  • Can you email me a PDF copy of my financial aid package?

    No. You can, however, view and accept your awards online through Iona’s administrative computing system, PeopleSoft. For assistance logging in, please contact the Help Desk at (914) 633-2635

  • Important Phone Numbers

    Tuition payment plan 914.633.2497
    Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) 800.4.FED.AID
    New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) 888.NYS.HESC
    TAP inquiries 888.NYS.HESC

  • Important School Codes

    Title IV (FAFSA code) 002737
    New York State TAP code (undergraduate) 0325