Marcus Aldredge, Ph.D.
Chair, Criminal Justice and Sociology Department
Interim Graduate Coordinator
Associate Professor of Sociology
Director, Public Health Minor
Dr. Aldredge regularly teaches courses in introduction to sociology, social problems, deviant behavior, popular culture, science, society & self, and the senior capstone. He’s also taught courses in research methods, criminology, penology, political sociology and the contemporary age.
His scholarly interests include culture, interactionism, deviance, health, and youth studies. Dr. Aldredge belongs to the American Sociological Association, American Public Health Association, Eastern Sociological Society and the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction.
- Kerr, Keith, B. Garrick Hardin, and Marcus Aldredge. 2015. David Riesman’s Unpublished Writings and Continuing Legacy. Farnham, UK: Ashgate.
- Journal Reviews: Contemporary Sociology, Theory in Action (2017)
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2016. Singer-Songwriters and Musical Open Mics. New York: Routledge. (paperback)
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2013. Singer-Songwriters and Musical Open Mics. Farnham, UK. Ashgate.
- Journal Reviews: Musicultures, Symbolic Interaction, Rock Music Studies, Popular Music, This Year’s Work in Critical and Cultural Theory
- Aldredge, Marcus, Lee, Sunghee and Klein, Joshua . Forthcoming “Science, Society & Self: An Undergraduate Course for Imparting Social Context to STEM”, Journal of College Science Teaching
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2019. Review of A Practical Guide to Arts-related Research for Teaching Sociology. 47,4: 370-373.
- Aldredge, Marcus and Alysha Gagnon. 2019. “David Riesman: Gamechanger.” Sage Encyclopedia for Social Research.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2016. Review of Working to Laugh entitled, “The Comic Frame: The Affective Labor of Laughter and Inequalities” for Symbolic Interaction 39, 2: 333-335.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2016 “Musical Pilgrims and their Islands: Singer-Songwriters and Open Mics” Cambridge Companion to the Singer-Songwriter, edited by Justin Williams and Katherine Williams. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Aldredge, Marcus and Brad Garrick Harden. 2015. “Strange Cultural Bedfellows: David Riesman, Erving Goffman and Contemporary Notions of Alienation” in David Riesman’s Unpublished Writings and Continuing Legacy. Farnham, UK: Ashgate.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2018."Conflicting Discourses of the Police and Law Enforcement in American Music: A Longitudinal, Content Analysis." Eastern Sociological Society. Baltimore
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2017. “Enabling and Anchoring Resources in American Punk Scenes in the South, 1975 – 1980.” Eastern Sociological Society. Philadelphia.
- Aldredge, Marcus. 2014. “Musical Pilgrims and their Islands: Singer-Songwriters and Open Mics.” International Association for the Study of Popular Music, UK. Cork, Ireland.
- Kerr, Keith, Marcus Aldredge and Xi Chen. 2014. “Graffiti with Chinese Characteristics: A Longitudinal Study of Campus Graffiti in Northwest China.” International Sociological Association. Yokahama, Japan.
- Aldredge, Marcus and Shaki Asgari. 2014. “Trending toward Artistic Diversity?: A Case Study of Collegiate Arts Programming, 2000-2014” Eastern Sociological Society. Baltimore.