Nicholas J. Beutell, Ph.D.
Management, Business Administration and Health Care Management Department
Dr. Beutell teaches courses in human resource management (including careers, international, work & family, and web-based HR) and management (principles and managing sport organizations). His research and consulting interests include work and family issues, career development, organizational surveys, and executive assessment. His publications have appeared in numerous journals including the Academy of Management Review, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Vocational Behavior.
- Beutell, N. J., & Gopalan, N. (Online first, August 22, 2019). "Pathways to work-family synergy: Resources, affect, and wellbeing.", Journal of Family Studies.
- Beutell, N. J., Alstete, J. W., Schneer, J. A., & Hutt, C. (2019). "A look at the dynamics of personal growth and self-employment exit.", International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research, 25(7), 1452-1470.
- Beutell, N. J., Alstete, J.W., Schneer, J. A., & O’Hare, M. M. (forthcoming). “Generational differences in self-employment: Work characteristics, health, work-family, and satisfaction.” International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business.
- Gopalan, N., & Beutell, N. J., Middlemiss, W. (2019). "International students’ academic satisfaction and turnover intentions: Testing a model of arrival, adjustment, and adaptation variables.", Quality Assurance in Education, 27( 4), 533-548.
- Alstete, J. W., & Beutell, N. J. (2019). "Business simulation and assurance of learning: Gender, academic major and business core course performance.", Quality Assurance in Education, 27(4), 412-426
- Schneer, J. A., & Beutell, N. J. (2019). "Commitment to career and family among American and Chinese business students.", Journal of Education for Business.
- Beutell, N. J., & Behson, S. (2018). "Working Fathers and Work-Family Relationships: A Comparison of Generation X and Millennial Dads.", Journal of Organizational Psychology, 18(2), 67-77.
- Alstete, J. W., & Beutell, N. J. (2018). "Designing learning spaces for management education: A mixed methods research approach.", Journal of Management Development, 37 (2), 201-211.
Books and Book Chapters
- Lepeley, M-T., Bardy, R., Essens, P., & Beutell, N. J., Editors, Human Centered Management Book Series, Routledge.
- Lepeley, M-T., Kuschel, K., Beutell, N. J., Eijdenberg, E., & Pouw, N. (2020). The Wellbeing of Women in Entrepreneurship: A Global Perspective. Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group. (Book).
- Alstete, J. W., Beutell, N. J., & Meyer, J. P. (2018). Evaluating Scholarship and Research Impact: History, Practices, and Policy Development.
- Beutell, N. J., & O’Hare, M. M. (2020). “Wellbeing, family, support, and health among women entrepreneurs in the United States.” In Wellbeing of Women in Entrepreneurship. A Global Perspective, Lepeley, M-T., Kuschel, K., Beutell, N. J., Eijdenberg, E., & Pouw, N. (Chapter)
- O’Hare, M. M., & Beutell, N. J. (2020). “U.S. women entrepreneurs’ wellbeing: Common themes through their narratives.” In Wellbeing of Women in Entrepreneurship. A Global Perspective, Lepeley, M-T., Kuschel, K., Beutell, N. J., Eijdenberg, E., & Pouw, N. (Chapter)
- Beutell, N. J., & Zhao, Xinyuan (Roy). (2020) (Guest Editors) special issue of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health on “Occupational Health Psychology”.
- Billing, T. J., & Beutell, N. J. (Guest Editors, forthcoming). (2020) “Gaining Insights into Work-Family Interface in South Asian Context”, South Asia Journal of Business Studies (Emerald Publishing).
- Languilaire, J-C. E., Hailu, K., Kuschel, K., & Beutell, N. J. (2020). Special issue editors, Community, Work and Family (Taylor & Francis) on the “work-life interface of independent workers”.
Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
- Beutell, N. J., O'Hare, M. M., Schneer, J. A., & Alstete, J. W. (2019). Work-Family Issues Among Self-Employed Married Women
- Beutell, N. J., & O’Hare, M. M. (2018). Work Schedule and Work Schedule Control Fit: Work-Family Conflict, Work-Family Synergy, Gender, and Satisfaction
Dr. Nicholas J. Beutell is professor of management and former dean of the LaPenta School of Business. He is co-editor of Routledge’s Human Centered Management Book Series with Maria-Teresa Lepeley (Founding Editor), Roland Bardy, and Peter Essens and co-editor of the book The Wellbeing of Women in Entrepreneurship: A Global Perspective (Routledge, 2020). He has published extensively in management, work-family, and entrepreneurship and has authored and contributed to many scholarly books. Dr. Beutell has extensive experience in academic administration, teaching, research, and consulting. He has served as dean, associate dean, director of research, department chair, and IRB chair. Nick has led major accreditation processes for business (AACSB) and athletics (NCAA) and has served as a human resources consultant to major companies. His recent work has focused on wellbeing in relation to occupations, generations, and individuals. He is also interested in research impact and quality indicators in business education. He is co-editing a special issue of the South Asian Journal of Business Studies (Emerald) on the “Work and Family Interface in South Asia” and a special issue for the International Journal of Environment Studies and Public Health entitled “Occupational Health Psychology”. He is a member of the editorial review board of the Journal of Managerial Psychology.
- Kuschel, K., Lepeley, M-T., & Beutell, N. J (2019). “From failure to wellbeing among women entrepreneurs in Chile: Work-family guilt and successful re-entry.” Presented at the Iberoamerican Academy of Management, Bogota, Colombia, December 5, 2019.
- Beutell, N. J., Schneer, J. A., & Alstete, J. W. (2019, June). “Career and family expectations among Chinese and American emerging adults: Commitment, knowledge, involvement, and self-efficacy.” Presented at the Eastern Academy of Management-International, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Gopalan, N., & Beutell, N. J. (2019, August). “Contextualizing work-family in India.” Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
- Alstete, J. W., & Beutell, N. J. (2019, May). “Learning outcomes in capstone business simulation: Comparing on-ground and online instructional formats.” Presented at the Eastern Academy of Management, Wilmington, Delaware.
- Bai, B., Gopalan, N., Beutell, N. J., & Ren, F. (2019, March 23). “How do commuters balance their work and life.” Presentation at the Academy of Business Research, New Orleans, Louisiana. Awarded Best Paper.
- Behson, S. J., & Beutell, N. J. (2019). “Gen X and Millennial working fathers: Generation, life stage, and work-family.” IESE 8th International Conference on Work and Family, Barcelona, Spain, July 2nd.
- Beutell, N. J., Alstete, J. W., Schneer, J. A., & Hutt, C. (2018). “Intention to leave self-employment: A comparison of business owners and independents.” Presented at the Eastern Academy of Management, Providence, RI, May 3.
- Alstete, J. W., & Beutell, N. J. (2018). “An empirical analysis of student learning in a capstone business simulation.” Presented at the Eastern Academy of Management, Providence, RI, May 4.
- Behson, S., & Beutell, N. J. (2018). “Working fathers: A comparison of Generation X and Millennial dads on a variety of work-family relationships.” Presented at the Biannual Work Family Researchers Network, Washington, DC.
- Beutell, N. J. (in preparation). American workers view their health. (Literature review – Spring 2018; Manuscript preparation – Spring 2019)
- Beutell, N. J., & Schneer, J. A. (under review). "Working in retirement: Gender differences in bridge employment.""
- Beutell N.J. (2018). Values-Based Management Theory. In: Poff D., Michalos A. (eds) Encyclopedia of Business and Professional Ethics. Springer, Cham.
- Laudano, M. C., Zollo, L., Ciappei, C., & Beutell, N. J. (under review). “Resilience, self-efficacy, and sense of community: Motivations countering job burnout.” Management Research Review.
- Reviewer, 2018, 2019 Eastern Academy of Management Program.
Reviewer, 2019, Eastern Academy of Management International
Reviewer, 2018, Journal of Managerial Psychology (Editorial Review Board)
Reviewer, 2018, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
Reviewer 2018, 2019, Quality Assurance in Education
Reviewer 2019, Management Research Review
Reviewer 2019, Kanter Award Committee for Best Work-Family paper from 2018