Andrew S. Griffith, DBA, EA, CPA, CMA, CIA, CFE, CRMA
Associate Professor of Accounting
Dr. Griffith has taught undergraduate courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, financial statement analysis, and Honors thesis research. He has taught graduate courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, income tax accounting, international accounting, auditing, and fraud examination. His professional experiences include expense management, financial management consulting, fraud examination, income tax accounting, internal audit, and taxpayer representation. He was a trustee and treasurer of a hospital and medical center (governmental) authority. His research interests include taxation, forensic accounting, fraud examination, financial accounting, and higher education.
Dr. Griffith's research interests include taxation, forensic accounting, fraud examination, financial accounting, and higher education. He has published in peer-reviewed journals and trade magazines and presented at various academic conferences.
Selected Journal Articles
- Griffith, A.S. & Altinay, Z. (2020). A framework to assess higher education faculty workload in U.S. universities. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 57(6), 691-700. doi: 10.1080/14703297.2020.1786432
- Griffith, A. S., & Kealty '18, C. (2018). Are Academic Libraries Utilized to Produce Engaged Alumni? Library Management, 39(3/4), 200-206. doi:10.1108/LM-09-2017-0096
- Griffith, A.S. & Kinkela, K.A. (2014). Statutes of Limitations for Personal Income Tax Returns. The CPA Journal, 84(1), 44-48.
- Griffith, A.S. & Abratt, R. (2013). The Consumer-Provider Relationship in the Dental Industry. Health Marketing Quarterly, 30(3), 221-234. doi: 10.1080/07359683.2013.814492.
- Griffith, A.S. (2011). Educational Attainment: A Model for Maximizing Earnings of the Nontraditional Student. The Journal of Continuing Higher Education, 59(2), 85-91. doi: 10.1080/07377363.2011.568824.
- Advisory Committee on Assessment (chair for 3 years)
- College Council
- Committee on Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
- Committee on Institutional Advancement (chair for 5 years)
- Honors Council
- Institutional Review Board (chair for 2 years)
- Rank, Tenure and Awards Committee
- Various other committees
American Accounting Association
- Assessment and Accreditation Issues Committee
- Research Resources and Methodologies Committee
- Tax Policy Committee
- And various other committees
Institute of Management Accountants
- Committee on Academic Relations
- Exam Review Committee
Reviewer, multiple journals and conferences
- Br. Arthur A. Loftus Outstanding Student Research Award, Iona University, May 2021. This award is for a faculty member who is actively engaged in research and/or scholarly activity with undergraduate or graduate students.
- 2012 Distinguished Junior Faculty of the Year Award, Iona University.
- Member of the Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society, Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society, Delta Mu Delta Honor Society, Golden Key International Honour Society, and Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
Dr. Griffith joined the Accounting Department in 2009. He has taught undergraduate courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, financial statement analysis, and Honors thesis research. He has taught graduate courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, income tax accounting, international accounting, auditing, and fraud examination. He was an assistant director of the Honors Program for all business majors from 2014-2018 and an advisor for Honors Program students from 2018-2022. He was the chair of the Human Subjects/Institutional Review Board (IRB) from 2016-2019.
Dr. Griffith has experience in expense management, internal audit, fraud investigation, and as a consultant in taxation and financial management. He was also a trustee and treasurer of a hospital and medical center authority. His active professional licenses and credentials include the Enrolled Agent (EA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA- New York), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), and Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA). He is a member of several professional organizations including the American Accounting Association, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, the Institute of Management Accountants, the National Association of Enrolled Agents, and The Institute of Internal Auditors.