Buildings, Memorials & Statues
In 1916, Judge Martin J. Keogh invited a group of Christian Brothers to start a school in New Rochelle. Br. Joseph Ignatius Doorley became the first principal and named the school on Lockwood Avenue after St. Columba's island monastery: "Iona School." The forward-looking Br. Doorley not only started the Iona School, but bought the land that would become, in time, the Iona College campus. According to Br. Quinn,"in 1919 he purchased for $85,000 from Rev. Thomas Hall, a retired Presbyterian minister, an eighteen-acre property facing North Avenue and adjacent to the Beechmont residential section of the city." The first classroom building erected for Iona Prep was Doorley Hall (1924). The first building actually occupied by Iona College at its founding was Cornelia Hall (1940).
Note: Where two dates are given, the first date indicates the year of construction, and the second date indicates when Iona opened the building for its current use.
Buildings for Classrooms, Libraries, Athletics, and Administration
Amend Hall (1930/1977)
Myles B. Amend: a former Trustee and legal counsel of the College. Original gymnasium for Iona Prep and Elementary Schools, now houses the Samuel Rudin Academic Resource Center, named in honor of the father of Jack Rudin, '86H.
Arrigoni Center (1905/1990)
Houses the Queen of Peace Chapel, home to Sunday evening Masses (Office of Mission and Ministry). Formerly the Episcopal Church of St. Paul; named in loving memory of Ferdinand E. Arrigoni by his son, Edward F. Arrigoni '56, '91H.
Cornelia Hall (1940)
Br. William Barnabas Cornelia (1885-1955): one of the Founding Brothers and Iona's first President; native of Dublin; professor of Romance and Classical Languages. Built in 1940 as a science building for Iona Prep, but seized in a friendly take-over by the brand-new College – making it the first Iona College building.
Doorley Hall (1925)
Br. Joseph Ignatius Doorley (1878-1950): Native of County Carlow, Ireland; teacher of Modern Languages; founded the Iona Schools in 1916 (see also St. Columba Statue); purchased the Hall Estate (the Iona campus) in 1919; Trustee of Iona College at its founding in 1940; also founder of Cardinal Newman High School in Buenos Aires (1948).
Driscoll Hall (1905/1991)
Formerly the Parish House of the Episcopal Church of St. Paul. Br. John G. Driscoll served for 24 years as Iona's President, from 1971-1994, transforming the College. Originally a professor of mathematics, Br. Driscoll has dedicated his post-presidential career to teaching Jewish insights into the Hebrew Bible or Old Testament to Roman Catholics.
Egan Hall (1923/1986)
Formerly the Rectory of the Episcopal Church of St. Paul. Named in honor of John M. Egan, CFC, Ph.D., professor of Psychology, counselor; co-founder of Pastoral Counseling Institute, vice president of Iona College (1961 - 1963). Egan Hall is the home of the Marriage & Family Therapy Department and the location of a community clinic since 1971 – now called the Iona Family Therapy Center (IFTC).
Hagan Hall (1950)
John G. Hagan: Trustee and benefactor. The home of Iona Prep from 1950-67; now houses the Hagan School of Business.
Hynes Athletics Center (1974/2005)
James P. Hynes, '69, '01H: Chairman of the College Board of Trustees and (together with his wife Anne Marie Hynes), a generous benefactor.
Iona College Arts Center (2000)
A gift of Joseph M. Murphy, '59, '83H, and his wife, JoAnn Mazzella Murphy, '98H, both long-serving Iona Trustees; houses the Br. Kenneth F. Chapman Art Gallery, as well as dance studios, art studios, and a sound studio.
Robert V. LaPenta Student Union (2005)
Robert V. LaPenta ('67, '00H) is a College Trustee and generous benefactor. Many of his racehorses have had outstanding careers: Ice Box finished second in the Kentucky Derby (2010) and Da' Tara won the Belmont Stakes (2008).
Mazzella Field (1989)
Named in honor of Concetta and John M. Mazzella, the parents of JoAnn Mazzella Murphy, '98H and Iona Trustee. Donated to Iona Prep in 1927; until its renovation in 1989, held two baseball diamonds, a football gridiron, and a quarter-mile track. Today serves as the field for Varsity Soccer and Lacrosse; club Rugby; and conditioning for all athletes.
McSpedon Hall (1960)
Joseph Howard McSpedon: member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (Local 3); president of the New York City and New York State Building and Construction Trades Council. McSpedon Hall is the main Administrative building and houses the Offices of the President and Provost. It is also the home of the Admissions Center.
Murphy Science and Technology Center (1910/1984)
A gift of Joseph M. Murphy, '59, '83H, and his wife JoAnn Mazzella Murphy,'98H, both long-serving Iona Trustees; named for Mr. Murphy's parents. Originally the Mayflower Elementary School, this buiding houses the Christopher J. Murphy Auditorium (2007), named in honor of the Murphy's son, Chris (1960-2001). See also Arrigoni Library.
Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice Chapel (formerly "St. Mary's Chapel")
Named for the founder of the Christian Brothers. A 19th century carriage house on the Hall Estate, it was renovated and redesigned by Br. Chapman in 2003. Daily Mass is celebrated here weekdays at 12:30 p.m. (Mondays through Thursdays) during the semester; the Iona Community of Christian Brothers meets here daily for morning & evening prayer and community Mass.
Ryan Library (1950, 2009-10)
Br. Patrick Joachim Ryan (1867-1948) was the first provincial of the Christian Brothers in North America, native of County Limerick, Ireland, and Trustee of the College at its founding in 1940. Extensive additions and renovations to this building commenced in 2009 and completed in 2010. Trustee Patrick J. Lynch '59, '08H and the Lynch family were the main benefactors.
Spellman Hall (1960)
Francis Joseph Cardinal Spellman (1889-1967): Archbishop of New York (1939-1967), and one of the most powerful bishops in the history of the American Church. Cardinal Spellman strongly supported the College, attended many Commencements, and presided at the dedication of Ryan Library. Spellman Hall was the former Student Union and site of Iona Commencements from 1944 to 2004.
Conese Hall (2003)
Eugene P. Conese Sr.: Iona alumnus in Accounting ('51, '01H) - the first person in his family to go to college, and a long-serving Iona Trustee. He and his wife, Anna May Conese, were generous Iona benefactors.
East Hall (1946/2012)
East Hall was erected on the foundation of Walsh Hall, a government surplus building donated to the Brothers after World War II. The old Walsh Hall had been home to the Psychology Department and was named after Pfc. Charles T. Walsh, an Iona student killed in action 1942.
Loftus Residential Hall (1990)
Br. Arthur Austin Loftus (1904-1979): one of the Founding Brothers and Iona's second President; professor of philosophy and religion; first non-Irish-born Brother elected Superior General of the Congregation. While President, Br. Loftus also coached Basketball and Baseball.
North Avenue Residence Hall (2016)
Iona’s newest residence hall is located across from the campus’ main entrance at the corner of North and Summit Avenues. The cutting-edge living space, with public retail and restaurant space on the ground level, was opened in the fall of 2016. The site was previously home of the College Diner and later the Mirage Diner.
Rice Hall (1958)
Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice (1762-1844): Founder of the Christian Brothers. Originally "Edmund Hall," the dormitory was built to house student Brothers in 1958; fifteen years later, it was converted to a standard residence hall.
South Hall (2003)
Together with Conese Hall, transformed life at Iona in 2003 by making the undergraduate student body majority-residential for the first time.
Statues and Memorials
St. Columba (1962)
Patron saint of the College (Irish name: St. Colmcille), St. Columba was an Irish monk, bard, statesman, artist, and abbot. He founded the monastery of Iona in 563 on a small island off Scotland. Spirituality and scholarship flourished there. Sculpted by A.J. Breen in Dublin, 1961-62, the statue is located in the Campus Quad in front of the ginkgo tree. It was a gift of the Class of 1960.
Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice (2009)
Founder of the Christian Brothers, Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice (1762-1844) gave poor Irish children liberation through education. Sculpted by Sr. Margaret Beaudette, S.C. of the De Paul Sculpture Studio. Located in the Campus Quad, near St. Columba. It was a gift of the Iona Community of the Christian Brothers.
Mary, the Mother of God
The mother of Jesus is depicted in sculpture in three spots on campus: next to Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice Chapel; overlooking the drive leading to Hagan Hall; and in the small park at the center of the Columba Lot.
Iona High Cross (1991)
Erected to celebrate Iona's Jubilee year of 1990-91. Modeled on the high crosses erected by Irish monks in early medieval times, especially those on the Island of Iona. Inscribed on the base are the names of the College's first undergraduates – enrolled in September 1940 – together with the founding Trustees, Brothers, and lay faculty. Located on the hill between Doorley and Walsh Halls. It was a gift from the Class of 1960.
Burns Sundial (1988)
A memorial in honor of James Francis Burns '44 (1922-1988). Br. Cornelia awarded Burns the first Iona degree (Bachelor of Business Administration) on May 20, 1944. Located on the Campus Quad near St. Columba.
World War II and Korea Memorial
Honors the nine Iona men who gave their lives in World War II and the three Iona men who gave their lives in Korea. Inscribed: "They fought the good fight!" Located beneath the ginkgo tree facing McSpedon Hall.
Honors the 12 Iona men who gave their lives in the service of peace in Vietnam from 1966-1970. Located beneath the ginkgo tree facing Cornelia Hall.
September 11 Memorial
Fifteen Iona alumni died in the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Their names are inscribed on the monument, set in the peaceful Memorial Park at the entrance of Ryan Library. Office of Mission and Ministry leads an annual September 11 Memorial Service in the Park.
The only artifact remaining from the Hall Estate, purchased from the Rev. Thomas Hall in 1919. The wrought-iron gate surmounted by the letter "H" is next to the walkway leading to the entrance of Ryan Library.