Dorothy Leone, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, '04
Associate Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders Department
CSD Graduate Program Coordinator
Dr. Dorothy Leone teaches graduate courses in child language development and disorders, social communication development and disorders, and diagnostics. Dr. Leone is a member of the Faculty Steering Group for Interprofessional Education at Iona.
Dr. Leone's research interests currently focus on autism spectrum disorders, social language development, and interprofessional education.
- Leone, D., Baez, A., Castillo, K., Matich-Maroney, J., Awosan, C., Brown, D., Howerton-Fox, A., Olsen, L., Peifer-Arens, P., & Zaromitidis, K. (2023). Introducing IPE for Graduate SLP Students at Iona University. New York State Speech Language and Hearing Convention. Saratoga Springs, NY, 5/12/23.
- Leone, D. & Veyvoda, M. (2023). Autism Education and Awareness Training. Karachi, Pakistan. 1/3/23.
- Howerton-Fox, A., Matich-Maroney, J., Awosan, C., Brown, D., Leone, D., Olsen, L., Peifer-Arens, P., & Zaromitidis, K., (2022). The Launch of Interprofessional Education at Iona University. New York State Association of Teacher Educators. Saratoga Springs, NY, 10/28/22. Leone, D. (2021).
- Creating Connections: Students with ASD. Southern Westchester BOCES. Virtual PD Short.
- Leone, D. (2021). What Every SLP Should Know about Executive Functioning. Southern Westchester BOCES. Virtual PD Short.
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- New York State Speech-Language Hearing Association
Speech-Language Pathologist (CCC-SLP) with New York State Certification
Dr. Leone is an alumna of Iona University, having earned her degree in speech-language pathology and audiology. In the fall of 2010, Dr. Leone returned to Iona University for the Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) department (at the time called the Speech Communication Studies department) and helped create Iona's CSD graduate program. She is a New York State and ASHA certified speech-language pathologist, with a clinical focus on supporting social differences for children with autism spectrum disorders. Dr. Leone has built this focus through her private practice, and through consultation for school-aged programs in New York City and Westchester County, as well as through her supervision of students at the Iona University Speech, Language, and Hearing Clinic. Dr. Leone has been a member of Iona's Interprofessional Education Steering Group since 2020 helping to create interprofessional experiences for Iona undergraduate and graduate students.