Elena G. Procario-Foley, Ph.D.
Professor of Religious Studies
Dr. Elena Procario-Foley teaches Iona's core courses in Religious Studies. She has also developed the study abroad course to Auschwitz: Memory and Reconciliation: The Churches and the Holocaust. Dr. Procario-Foley's early research focused on the christology of Flemish Dominican theologian Edward Schillebeeckx. She is interested in the various branches of systematic theology, their conversations with both pastoral practice and Christian feminism, and Catholic theology after Vatican II. Procario-Foley currently focuses work in the field of Jewish-Catholic relations.
- Frontiers in Catholic Feminist Theology: Shoulder to Shoulder (co-editor Susan Abraham; Fortress Press, 2009)
- "Coming of Age During the Holocaust, Coming of Age Now: Challenges, Opportunities, and Necessities Related to Interreligious Dialogue," in Learn, Teach, Prevent: Holocaust Education in the 21st Century, The Ethel LeFrak Holocaust Education Conference Proceedings, ed. Carol Rittner, R.S.M., (Greensburg, PA: Seton Hill University, 2010) 38-45. Co-authored with Elizabeth Edelstein.
- "Papal Visit to Israel" for Patheos.com, a portal for the study of the world's religions, May 12, 2009; see:http://www.patheos.com/Gateways/Catholic/Papal-Visit-to-Israel.html
- "Heir or Orphan? Theological Evolution and Devolution Before and After Nostra Aetate" in The Church of the Future, Annual Volume 51 of the College Theology Society ed., William Madges (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Press, 2006).
- "Christology as Introduction" in Christology: Memory, Inquiry, Practice, eds. Anne M. Clifford and Anthony J. Godzieba (New York: Orbis Books, 2003) 250-264.
- "A Propaedeutic for a Framework: Fostering Ethical Awareness in Undergraduate Business Students," co-author: Michael T. McLaughlin, Teaching Business Ethics 7: 279-302 (2003).
- "Institutions of Higher Education: Cornerstones in Building Ethical Organizations," co-author: David F. Bean, Teaching Business Ethics 6: 101-116 (2002).
- Dr. Procario-Foley has also published in Assembly, The Proceedings of the Catholic Theological Society of America, and The Proceedings of the International Conference Promoting Business Ethics. She has a variety of book reviews in Theological Studies, Horizons, Augustinian Studies, Dialogue and Alliance, and H-Catholic. Procario-Foley is assistant editor of Horizons: The Journal of the College Theology Society.
Dr. Procario-Foley's early research focused on the christology of Flemish Dominican theologian Edward Schillebeeckx. She is interested in the various branches of systematic theology, their conversations with both pastoral practice and Christian feminism, and Catholic theology after Vatican II. Procario-Foley currently focuses work in the field of Jewish-Catholic relations. She is the immediate past chair of the Council of Centers on Jewish-Christian Relations.
Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA)
June 10, 2011 Elected to the Board of Directors for a two-year term (June 2011 - June 2013)
June 2010 - June 2013: Appointed Member of Leadership Team, Topic Session Christ. I resigned my appointment in June 2011 when I was elected to the Board of Directors.
June 2007 - June 2010: Elected Member of Leadership Team, Consultation on Christianity and Judaism/Interreligious Studies (Chair of team, 09-10)
June 2001 - June 2003: Chair, Nominations Committee
Fall 2000 - June 2001: Member, Nominations Committee
June 1999 - June 2002: Co-Chair, Women's Seminar in Constructive Theology
June 1997 - June 1999: Steering Committee Member of Women's Seminar in Constructive Theology
College Theology Society (CTS)
June 2010 - June 2011: Local Coordinator of National Convention
June 2005 - June 2009: Board, National Secretary for the Society
June 2003 - June 2005: Member, Awards Committee
June 2000 - June 2003: Convener of the Contemporary Theologies Section
Council of Centers on Jewish-Christian Relations (CCJR)
Nov 2006- Nov 2011, Chair
2005-2006 Board Member
Christian Scholars Group on Christian-Jewish Relations (CSG)
Elected member 2010-2015
Work Group in Constructive Theology
Invited member 2005 to the present.
Member of Planning Committee 2006
American Academy of Religion (AAR)
Manhattan College Holocaust Resource Center (renamed: Manhattan College Holocaust, Genocide, and Interfaith Center in Fall 2011)
Board Member 2008- present
Stimulus Foundation/Paulist Press
Board Member 2007- Present
Phi Beta Kappa, 1985
Alpha Sigma Nu, 1985
Phi Kappa Phi, 1984
- Sapientia et Doctrina Award for Service to the renewal of the Church; presented by Fordham University October 21, 2011
- Iona College Woman of Achievement Award, June 2010.
- Hugh McCabe Award for Social Justice, Iona College, May 2006.
- Iona College Dean's Award for Distinguished Scholarship, May 2000, May 2006.