Student Support Services TRIO Program
Become a TRIO Scholar at Iona!
The Student Support Services (SSS) TRIO program at Iona University provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education.
The goal of SSS TRIO is to increase the college persistence, retention, and graduation rates of its participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
Learn More About Trio Student Support Services At Iona University
Who Is Eligible?
Applications are welcome from students who are:
- Enrolled and/or accepted full-time at Iona University
- A low-income student whose family meets federal income eligibility guidelines; and/or
- A first-generation college student whose parent/guardian has not graduated from a four-year institution; and/or
- A college student with a documented disability
- Individualized academic counseling and guidance
- Academic enrichment workshops
- Assistance with course selection
- Career counseling and events
- Cultural educational trips and on-campus events
- Financial aid counseling
- Graduate school application guidance and support
- Mentoring services
- Tutorial services
SSS TRIO Program Goals
The Student Support Services Program is designed to:
- Increase the retention and graduation rates of eligible students
- Foster an institutional climate supportive of the success of low income and first generation college students and individuals with disabilities through services.
Mayulie Luciano, Program Director
Verick White was born and raised in the Bronx and acquired his BBA in Information Systems from Iona University. Verick has always had a passion for helping students succeed, and his college career reflects this. He got his start as an Orientation Leader during his sophomore year of college and since then has had nonstop growth in his leadership skills. Throughout his 3 remaining years at Iona, he worked as a tutor in the Rudin Center focusing on courses primarily in computer science, business, and info systems. He finished off his senior year as a Resident Assistant which was one of his most fulfilling roles at Iona. Helping students of all different backgrounds and skill sets has helped to prepare him for his new role as Project Advisor for the Student Support Services TRIO Program. His priority will be to ensure that all TRIO students have the resources they need in order to succeed academically, while making the most of their experience here at Iona. Verick also enjoys music, fitness, and opportunities for free food.