This Strategic Plan of the Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) program at Iona University is the product of collaborative discussions among the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences, the Coordinator of the Arts and Sciences Graduate Programs, and the CSD faculty. This Plan is guided by the Strategic Plan of the University, and is consistent with the Mission, Vision and Values of the University.
The mission of the CSD Program at Iona University is to graduate entry-level clinicians who will adhere to the highest personal, professional, and ethical standards, employ best evidence practices, critical thinking, and self-analysis, demonstrate empathy, altruism, and accountability in their clinical practice, appreciate the value of continuing education, and aspire to provide outstanding clinical services for a diversity of individuals of all ages with communication and swallowing problems. The Program is dedicated to promoting the field of communication sciences and disorders and serving the greater community. In striving to fulfill this mission, the Program seeks to contribute substantially to the success of Iona University.
The CSD Program embraces the values of a student-centered institution rooted in the tradition of the Christian Brothers. The following are key values:
- A graduate education rich in didactics and clinical experience that enables our graduates to prepare for excellence in the field of speech-language pathology
- Devotion to integrity, diversity, and freedom of inquiry
- Individualized attention to each student
- Faculty and student collaboration in teaching, learning, and research that enhances the department’s intellectual life and that meets society’s needs in the widely diverse areas of communication disorders
- Commitment to compassion and innovation
- Dedication to the full integration of academic and clinical experiences
- A culture of participatory and transparent decision making within the Department of Speech Communication Studies
- Partnerships across University departments and within the greater community for the benefit of all.