I-20 & Visa Information

International students must complete Iona University's Application for Form I-20. The I-20 is required when applying for an F-1 student visa at an American Embassy or Consulate and for entry into the United States. The I-20 is issued by Iona University through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and is an acknowledgement that your record is in the SEVIS system.

Students already attending a high school or college in the U.S. will need to transfer the I-20 to Iona University once the current program ends in order to continue studies in the U.S. Please note that Canadian students do not need a visa, but are required to have an I-20 issued by the school and to pay the SEVIS fee.

Request an I-20 application

If you are transferring your I-20 to Iona University from another U.S. school or program, please email international@iona.edu to request a Transfer Release form to facilitate the SEVIS transfer of your I-20 document.

Demonstrating Financial Resources

Immigration laws require international students who wish to study in the U.S. on an F-1 visa to show proof of finances for one year.

Students must verify a minimum of:

  • $67,000 For Undergraduate studies for 2023-24
  • $57,305 For Graduate Business studies for 2023-24
  • $45,044 For Graduate Arts & Science studies for 2023-24


All new students coming in F-1 status must pay a $350 SEVIS fee prior to applying for a visa.

Please visit www.fmjfee.com for SEVIS payment information.

Additional I-20 Forms

Students whose family member(s) are traveling on F-2 visa status will be mailed an I-20 for their use. Each F-2 dependent should have his or her own I-20 form. Each F-2 dependent I-20 is issued his or her own SEVIS number but an additional SEVIS fee does not need to be paid.

You will be required to show an additional $10,000 in funding for each dependent I-20.


Contact Us

International Admissions

In-person, telephone and Zoom appointments can be made via DaySmart Appointments.