Biology (BS Degree)
Why study Biology?
Biology is the study of life, from the smallest molecules required for cellular life to entire ecosystems and communities. A Bachelor of Science in Biology degree opens doors to careers in health care, veterinary science, education, research, environmental science and many other fascinating specialties.
Why earn your Biology Degree from Iona?
At Iona University, a Bachelor’s degree in Biology connects you to an expansive variety of careers in the biological sciences. Our faculty inspires you to think like a scientist–critically, analytically and ethically. Your coursework examines the latest concepts of biology in a student-centered environment that pushes you to explore, ask questions and share ideas.
Our Biology major offers four areas of concentration connected to specific career paths in the biological sciences:
- General Biology
- Pre-Physical Therapy/Pre-Physician Assistant
- Ecology and Environmental Biology
Throughout the Biology major, your educational experience will extend beyond the classroom, with valuable opportunities, including:
- working in the laboratory alongside dedicated faculty and learning modern and relevant techniques for research projects
- attending conferences
- publishing in academic journals
- connecting with the wider biology field through internships, volunteering and service-learning classes
There is also a Biology minor available and a five-year dual degree BS in Biology/MST in Education.
What You'll Learn
Our Bachelor’s degree illuminates the foundations of biology and pushes you to pursue concepts and ideas that will take you to the next level as a student and biologist. You will learn to appreciate the role of science in today’s world.
More specifically, your coursework builds skills critical for careers in the biological sciences such as research, collecting and analyzing data, communicating complex ideas, collaborating and presenting findings.
What can you do with a Biology degree?
A Biology degree can open many doors for students who have a passion for science. At Iona, we see many of our graduates opt to pursue higher education after completing their Biology degrees. Generally, they will go into the medical field and become doctors, physicians, dentists or something similar. Learn more about Pre-Health Advising at Iona here.
Additionally, many hospitals and clinics employee biologists in their pathology departments. For students who are interested in the administration side of health care, Iona offers an MBA that can be completed by any major in as little as one year. Employees that hold both a degree in biology and an MBA have an advantage in health care administration settings as they have a broad understanding of a hospital's objectives and needs.
You don’t need to pursue medicine, though, in order to get the most out of your Biology degree. Cosmetic, food science and biotech companies all seek qualified candidates who hold Biology degrees. Regeneron – a biotech company with roots right here in Westchester, N.Y. – has hired many Iona graduates over the years.
Biology Degree Program Highlights
Our flexible Biology major allows you to customize your degree with a concentration:
- Pre-Physical Therapy/Pre-Physician Assistant: Prepares you for physical therapy and physician assistant graduate programs.
- Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental: Designed for students who wish to go on to medical, dental and other professional schools.
- Ecology and Environmental Biology: Designed for students who wish to enter graduate programs in ecology, environmental sciences and related subjects and/or enter the sustainability industry
- General Biology: Provides the most flexibility in terms of the career options. Students who choose this broad concentration have pursued careers in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, education, research and business; in other words, everything!
Early Acceptance Programs
Iona University has early acceptance articulation agreements where Biology graduates can be accepted as high school seniors or college freshman, if they meet certain qualifications, and automatically reserve a seat in medical school. Iona has agreements with the following professional programs:
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine
- New York College of Chiropractic Medicine
- University of St. Joseph School of Pharmacy
Iona's biology faculty welcome students who want to be involved in research, which led me to perform laboratory research with Dr. Zuckerman. By being in the lab outside of class time, I was allowed to further expand my knowledge on lab techniques.
Melissa Rowan '20
Careers & Outcomes for Biology Majors
Our Biology majors leave the program ready to excel in graduate programs or in a wide range of career opportunities in the biological sciences. Over 60% of Iona Biology graduates take the next step in graduate programs in medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, physical therapy and others.
Our Alumni Have Attended:
- Weill-Cornell School of Medicine
- New York Medical College
- Chicago Medical School
- SUNY Stony Brook
- Yale University
- Howard University (DDS)
- New York University (DDS)
- Tufts University (DDS)
Learn More About Iona's Biology degree
At Iona University, our Bachelor of Science in Biology degree expands your horizons as a scientist and researcher. Concentrations related to health professions, environmental biology and education offer you the comprehensive career preparation you need to launch your career or pursue advanced graduate studies.
Request information to learn more about Iona’s BS in Biology degree.
Find Out what an Iona Education Can Do For You
Our scenic campuses, located just 20 miles from midtown Manhattan, truly do offer the "best of both worlds." Let us show you around, answer your questions and give you a feel of our tight-knit community.
If you're considering applying to Iona, you're not alone! During the past two years, our new-student enrollment has spiked 32%. Additionally, 99% of our first-year students receive institutional scholarships or grant aid.
Request More Information
Learn more about Iona University today!