Put simply, nurses save lives. What type of work could be more important?
A Bachelor of Science degree (BS) will prepare you as a registered nurse and much more. With your degree, you will enjoy job satisfaction and stability because nurses are respected and in-demand! You will have opportunities to work in a variety of settings, to take on supervisory roles, to earn a competitive salary, and to inspire people everyday!
Why Study Nursing at Iona?
Iona’s director of the Bachelor of Science degree program in nursing, Susan Apold, Ph.D., RN, ANP-BC, GNP, FAAN, FAANP, is one of the nation’s foremost leaders in the field of nursing.
Dr. Apold is committed to making sure that every single student gains the knowledge, experience and deep appreciation of what it takes to maximize a patient’s care everyday in every situation.
With Iona’s small class sizes – an 8:1 student/faculty ratio – you will receive personalized attention from our distinguished faculty who are experienced nurses and nurse practitioners committed to your success.
You will gain invaluable hands-on experience with immersive clinicals, internships and fieldwork, which ensure that when you graduate, you will have an edge on the competition and be ready to start improving the lives of others.
Iona College is founded on a mission to educate and serve. It is who we are. There is no better place to train to make a difference in people’s lives.
What You'll Learn
In addition to a rigorous core curriculum covering the humanities, social sciences, business and STEM, students in the bachelor’s nursing program will gain valuable experience in a range of major-specific courses, such as:
- Basics of Patient-centered Care
- Nursing Care of Children
- Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family
- Nursing Research
- Nursing Care of Individuals and Populations with Behavioral/ Mental Health
- Nursing Care of the Adult and Aging Patient
You will master the skills necessary to deliver the best possible care to your patients, including:
- Clinical skills which allow you to treat patients, administer medication, perform tests and procedures, and more;
- Technical skills to prepare you to use medical and lab equipment;
- Organizational and managerial skills to help you handle your caseload and work collaboratively with other members of your medical team;
- Communication skills that will help you develop relationships with your patients;
- Critical Thinking and Ethical Decision-making skills, which will guide you as you assess situations and determine a course of action;
- Leadership skills as you accept opportunities to take on more responsibility.
Unique Elements of Program
- Option to complete an accelerated, 15-month second-degree program
Valuable Clinicals and Internships
With NYC just 30 minutes from Iona College, you will have a wealth of opportunities for clinical rotations, internships & fieldwork in world-renowned hospitals and health facilities.
Two Pathways to Earn A Degree
You have the option to earn your degree in a traditional 4-year undergraduate program, complete with a core, liberal arts curriculum for new and transfer students; or in an accelerated, 15-month second-degree program for students who already have a bachelor’s degree in another field. Both pathways will prepare graduates to sit for the National Certification and Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
Faculty in the Field
Study with distinguished faculty who are practicing nurses and nurse practitioners. They are not only committed to your success but also to providing the best patient care possible. You'll learn from the real-life experience they bring to the classroom everyday.
Careers & Outcomes
Nurses who earn a Bachelor of Science degree are in high demand in a variety of settings. BS graduates can expect to enjoy a wide range of lucrative, professional opportunities.
Registered nurses with a BS may work in/as:
- Private Practices
- Schools and Camps
- Nursing Homes
- Home-based Health Services
- Mental Health Centers
- Hospice Centers
Accelerated Second-Degree Program Admission Requirements
Iona is currently offering direct-entry admission to qualified applicants seeking admission to Iona’s accelerated, 15-month second-degree program.
For more information about the Accelerated Second-Degree program, contact Dr. Susan Apold at email@example.com.
Successful candidates will need:
- A baccalaureate degree
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0
- Completion of the following courses with a "B" or better:
- Anatomy and Physiology*
- Developmental Psychology
*All sciences must include a laboratory.